Skip to main content

Glorious Rain! ~ Homemade Graham Crackers

Thank you all for your happy thoughts and prayers for rain to arrive.  It arrived yesterday afternoon.   It poured for a very short time, but it came down hard. I was so relieved.  I think the downpour lasted only 15 minutes, but it was better than nothing at all.  Today, I will be checking for any new squash, and broccoli to pick.  And tomatoes. 
 

While it rained, I baked some homemade grahams.


It's been a while since I've made these.  I had fresh blueberry pie on my mind, and a graham crust.  Which then made me think to make the grahams to crush and freeze for winter time pie crusts too.  Those store bought graham crusts contain palm oil, palm kernel oil, and I think corn syrup.  And other nasty ingredients.


I love that these crackers are rolled between parchment paper.  Less mess.  I roll my dough onto two pans and cut them with a pizza cutter.  These smell so good while they are baking too.  The recipe I use is here:  Homemade Whole Wheat Graham Crackers

 

Thank you Susan for sharing the Sweet Corn and Zucchini Pie recipe.  I had just enough zucchini and corn to make this.  I used 50/50 of mozzarella and swiss cheese.  And of course our homegrown herbs.  And you can guess which daughter refused to try this vegetarian meal....the picky vegetarian (who doesn't like mushrooms).  We tried to tell her to just taste it, but that was a fail.  Either way, this meal recipe will stay in the recipe box.  The others went back for seconds.  It was tough to save a serving for Hubby to take to work, ha ha!



Comments

Susan said…
Rain! Hooray! Like you said, every little bit helps. I'm glad (almost) everyone liked the pie - I think I will make it again this week myself. I loathe corn syrup but have to use it in a drench for my old ewe. I will have to say, she is thriving because of it (mixture to build up her iron level). But I never touch the stuff!
Susan, we loved that recipe. As for the corn syrup, I only buy a small supply of organic/non-gmo. I use it to make the ice cream whiskey sauce and for my homemade teriyaki sauce (and a few sweet treats at Christmas).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart