Skip to main content

Camping Trip ~ Campfire Mac n' Cheese

We've been "off line" for a while so these are posts will catch up all up to date.  Hubby took us camping!  Oh the fun!

This is the fire ring that we cooked on.  We bring along a tri-pod as well.


Meal prep - noodles boiled and cheeses mixed but not melted.  I did this the day before we went camping.
 




This is how we ended up cooking our first night's dinner.  On the bottom I put a mix of vegetables, and butter on a griddle over the fire.  On the tri-pod, I put the mini-pie pans on another griddle, then covered them with foil.  With a careful eye, rotating, and lowering, we pulled off making our first ever camfire mac n' cheese.

I was so afraid I'd burn the bottoms of the mac n' cheese but I did not.  Oh so good too!  


We worked off the pasta and cheese on a long bicycle ride too.  It was hot and humid, but we survived.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
I always wanted to camp but my husband had been in Viet Nam and said he's had enough of "camping". I should have taken the kids and gone myself! What fun! So glad you were able to get away....again! LOL!
RB said…
Sounds just lovely. After going through USMC Boot Camp, I'm afraid I'm not much of a camper anymore, but I can surely understand those who are. Communing with nature is a great way to get back to one's calmest level (we call it "pivot point"), and that's a great place to start a new week.
Prayers everyone has a safe and blessed weekend.
God bless.
RB
<><
Liz said…
Glad you finally got to go camping! Mac & cheese over the fire? YUM!
I miss all of the great things we used to cook over a campfire!
Sam I Am, when the kids were really little, we simply put a tent up in the back yard. They loved it.
Thanks RB, the kids liked everything but the heat.
Liz, it was hot, but we did cook over the campfire. Even breakfast.
Sandra said…
looks like a great time. I love outdoor cooking :)
Sandra, I think I may invest in some cast iron skillets for campfire cooking (or a griddle). We've really had fun with it.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart