Skip to main content

Homemade Walnut Butter

Note:  Blogger must be having some issues right now. I keep having trouble just signing in.  They are also posting a notice that may be showing up at the top of my blog, regarding cookies.

 
The sun is shining and the squishy ground is drying up, so out to the barn I went for a good coop cleaning.  I had to laugh.  Both goats came running into the barn and decided to have long conversations with me while I worked.  I love those little boogers.

This is a blurry photo, but since I had a lot of English walnuts, I toasted 2 cups (350°F for about 8 minutes).


Then I cooled them, tossed them into my food processor, added 1 tsp. organic cinnamon, 1 tsp. honey, and 1/4 tsp. salt.  

Oh my golly!  This stuff is wonderful.  I have only made homemade peanut butter (hard to find organic grown shell peanuts so I simply buy organic peanut butter).  Remember all those nuts I cracked?  Well, I am so happy with the results.  

This stuff sells for $13.00 for 8 oz. and I got about 1 cup with those 2 cups of walnuts (locally grown and not sprayed).  I've never bought walnut butter, but now I'm hooked on making it.

Guess what's on my spring planting wish list?  Two English walnut trees.

I found a use for the plastic lids that come on the non-gmo safflower mayo I buy.  Why not make the mayo?  Well, I have, but it will often spoil before it's used up.  When the kids are all moved out, I can make smaller batches and use it the same day (for example, homemade tartar sauce).

Back to the lids.  I have recycled the glass portion for next Christmas, and topped them with canning lids and rims, recycling some of my used lids.  

I can't recycle the lids here at our drop off, but these plastic lids fit a canning jar perfectly (I didn't want them on my gift due to color).


I make so many things from scratch, like hand lotion, neosporin, and even food items such as the butters etc.  Those items are such a pain to open and shut with the two piece canning lid (things used daily, or several times a day, especially lotion), so I have replaced those lids with the recycled one-piece lid.  Nothing ends up in the trash.  

I may have to put this idea over on my SCRAP blog too.  I just couldn't toss them into the trash. 

   

Comments

Sandra said…
I have never had walnut butter.
Sounds interesting :)
Sandra, I friend of mine was talking about her pecan trees she had on order (to spring plant) and mentioned wanting to make pecan butter. This led the conversation to the walnut trees I wanted to plant - hence walnut butter. Yum!
Debby Flowers said…
I use those lids too, mainly on the 8 oz jelly jars. Those little jars just happen to fit perfectly into my 70's era yogurt maker. It came with milk glass containers, but I replaced them with the jelly jars because they seal better than the lids that came with the milk glass ones. I use jars to pack lunch items too, like a couple of peeled hard-boiled eggs, or oatmeal to go.
Debby, those are great ideas too. I'll have to remember that when Hubby and I are on the road next.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart