Skip to main content

Homemade Granola






Sharing another recipe we've been making here for a few years now.  We love this version and have gifted it many times.  I use organic/non gmo ingredients.


 
Homemade Granola

4 C old fashioned oats
2 C quick oats (not instant)
1/2 C powdered nonfat milk
1/2 C ground flaxseed
1/2 C toasted wheat germ
1/4 C sesame seeds
1 Tbs ground cinnamon
1/2 chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 C canola oil
1/2 C honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1C dried fruit (optional)


Lightly oil an 11 by 17 in cake pan (or 2 9x13.) with canola oil and set aside.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a large mixing bowl, stir together oats, milk powder, flaxseed, wheat germ, sesame seeds, cinnamon, walnuts and salt.  Mix well.

Pour oil and honey into a 1 cup measuring cup and heat in microwave for one minute.  Add extract.  Pour over oat mixture and stir in well, breaking up clumps as you go.  Pour granola into oiled pan and spread out in and even layer.

Place pan on center rack in oven, and bake for 30 minutes, stirring well every 10 min.  Remove pan from oven and allow granola to cool.  Stir in dried fruit, if desired.  Store in air tight container.  Makes about 8 cups. 

Enjoy!

Comments

Sandra said…
I love homemade granola :)
I do too Sandra. I love it on my yogurt.
Faith said…
thank you for sharing, I'd like to try making some.
Faith you are welcome. It's the only granola I have loved and made for years.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart