Skip to main content

Camping Prep ~ Crochet Projects

Remember all those English Walnuts we bartered for?  I was still cracking them this month.  Apparently, the kids have lost their mojo with helping me.

The shells are always saved from these walnuts.  My older brother and his wife gift me their cardboard egg cartons.  


Four dozen campfire starters are in the making today, and I have more shells.
  

I also took a day off yesterday.  Hard to believe?  Ha!  I did.  I did not do a lick of work.  Other than my hen chores.  My fitbit read under 3,000 steps.  That's a shocker.


I got out my pattern book and crocheted a new pattern.  Know I can say I've completed the basket weave stitch with knitting and with crochet.  



It turned out very thick, and has now been called the "Campercloth."  It's a dishcloth pattern, but I'll use it to scrub a dub dub in the camper.    

Remember my closet cleaning?  The aka "craft storage" area in it?  Well, I found more yarn, so guess what else I am torturing myself with?

I've started another scrap yarn blanket.  I'm still working away on the scrap rug, baby blanket, seat cushions, and a knitted dishcloth.  It's just not right to have only one project. 

Comments

Kim said…
Wow, with all those fire starters you are planning a lot of camping trips! I love the new dishcloth pattern.
Kim, we can use them for evening campfires home as well. We have some dead pine trees to cut down and burn, and you can't cook over them so we'll be doing a lot of campfires somewhere this year. Or I'll be ahead for next year. We don't always get walnuts every year. The dishcloth ended up very thick. Makes a great scrub rag.
Reginas Cottage said…
hello kristina,

thanks for the idea ...... i have a lot of walnuts.
your dishcloth is grandious!!!! love the ripple blanket.
you have a lovely blog.
have a wonderful week,
regina
Regina, thank you for visiting. For the campfire starters I add a bit of cotton string, then pour melted beeswax over the walnut shells. Glad you like the dishcloth and blanket. This blanket is my second scrap one, and I do love how they turn out.
Susan said…
There ought to be a law forbidding only one or two knitting/crocheting projects at once - you need to have at least four! That is a clever idea for starting fires. I have two five gallon buckets with black walnuts calling out to me from the carport. So far I have been able to ignore them, but I think I may have to deal with them soon.
Susan, yes four or five projects, ha ha! I just found another bag of English Walnuts to crack. Eeek!
Michelle said…
I have so many unfinished projects that I have enough to keep me busy for a long time. I did just finish a quilt that I started 3 years ago. For me that's a record .
Michelle, I have project that old as well,ha ha!
RB said…
Your dishcloths are so pretty, I'm jealous. LOL
I have myself a rule, one project at a time. Problem with that lately is, at my age and with my eyesight, I'm so afraid of not being able to finish a project that I don't start one at all, and that's not good either, cause I LOVE to do needle work and such, so I'm going to have to give myself a kick to get started on one. I have two sisters that can finish them if I can't.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, that's great that you have sisters than can finish your work. I do not. My Mom and Aunt used to crochet, but I self taught myself. I taught a few kids, but they have no interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart