Skip to main content

Homestead Happenings

The puppies sleep all night, but get up between 5:30am and 6:30am.  Not a big deal really.  Today they slept until almost 7am.  It helps me get up and going and back to intentional exercise (again).  They don't like going in their crates while I work out, so I've been testing their behavior by blocking them into the kitchen where I can mostly see them.  So far so good.  I have noticed they have exceptional hearing, which is always important when you want "guard" dogs.


The chickens are back to getting free roam of the homestead again.  Hubby's ladder fell during a windy day (don't try telling him he should have put it away either), and it landed smack dab on my chicken run fence.  As soon as school is out, or Son is here, I'll go out and repair it.  

I am making my spring shopping list already.  I may be ordering the minimum of Rhode Island Reds, Leghorns or Buff Orpingtons to add to my brood.  Hubby still won't agree to guineas, but he is agreeing to at least two nigerian dwarf (wethers) goats to put out in the pasture.  The idea of raising rabbits for meat is still being tossed around.  

Has anyone raised turkeys successfully while raising chickens near each other?  Considering raising my own Thanksgiving turkeys, but concerned on preparations I would need to make. 

If the weather stays on the warmer side, I need to remove my pea fence.  I don't plant anything in the same place each year.  I kind of forgot about it. 

Son arrived home at 1:00am.  Jesse was beside himself, and I have not seen Jesse since Son went to bed.  When Son arrived, he walked very quietly through the room with the puppy crate, and those pups could smell him.  They let off a "stranger danger" bark and it was quite impressive.  They are already showing signs of being wonderful guard dogs here. 

We are making a bit of progress with Jesse and the pups.  He's starting to tolerate them, but puts up a growl when he's tested beyond his old age.  He's letting them know their limits.  The cats are starting to come around more often too.  It will just take time to get everyone to get along.  The pups give barn cat Timmy kisses almost every day, so that helps teach them to not chase the barn cats.

I've finally installed a baby gate with a swing door, so the dogs can't get out of the kitchen when the house door is opened, nor out of my sight.  They are truly like having grand kids, but we are enjoying them.  I hope they are still young enough to grow up with bucklings, when the bucklings arrive.
  
Last night I made a sage tea infusion.  I have not made sage before (other than a hot tea), and it is said to help control sugar in the body.  Hubby struggles off and on, so I strained that already this morning.  I tasted it, and it's pretty good. 

Comments

Susan said…
I am always so thankful for my alert dogs (even the old, half-deaf one). They really put up a ruckus if someone even walks on the road in front of the house! It must be so great to have your son home for the holidays -- thanks to your creative and adventurous herbal journeys, I made sage honey for the first time and it has already come in handy. I think that more herbal remedies will be added to my to-do list for this coming year.
Susan, I hope to try more herbal recipes over the next year too. Our weather finally changed today, so I'm not sure if I'll get much more from the herb garden this year. I am drying one last batch of sage today. It snowed here today. The girls are all excited their brother is home. The dogs are even excited.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart