Skip to main content

My Herbal Journey ~ Calendula Oil ~ Calendula Salve and Lip Balm


My pot of calendula has been growing wonderfully.  It was recently time to cut and dry them, and make a jar of calendula herbal oil.
  



The jar sat about 6 weeks in a sunshine filled window, then strained.


I used the oil to then make my first healing salve (recipes from Mountain Rose Herbs). 



The calendula salve will be great on my sore muscles too. 




I also made lip balm with the calendula oil.  I have made lip balm in the past, but not with home grown herbs.  This is a first for me as well.  Although a few girls here want their lip balm in tubes, not jars, they are willing to try it.  The recipe made 6 - 1/4 oz. jars. I took one and started using it right away.  I love the smell too! I added lavender to this batch.

Update:  This also fills 10 lip balm tubes, making more from one batch.  Also, these tubes are less expensive than the jars I used (pictured above).


Comments

Mama Pea said…
The calendula in the jars is beautiful, too!
Lady Jane said…
This sounds awesome. I keep telling myself I will start to do things like this but never get the time.
Kim said…
SO tell us, what did you think? I might have to add peppermint to mine I am so hooked on Burt's Bees in a tube!
Thanks Mama Pea, it was nice to look at in my kitchen for six weeks.
Lady Jane, you should make this. It's wonderful!
Kim, we love this stuff, and all of us like the jars, except one kiddo. I think the recipe makes less tubes than jars, so I used the 1/4 oz. jars. I wanted to stretch it as much as possible, to try it out and see if it would make a good gift idea. I just used the salve today after splitting wood.
Forgot to mention, I think the lip balm would be excellent with peppermint essential oil. Also, the salve uses 4 oz. of oil, so it uses a lot if you only make one pint of calendula oil. The lip balm only used 3 Tbsp. I may make the lip balm one more time for winter (using peppermint).
Sandra said…
Ok I'm going to have to try this, I would love to make my own lip balm.
Sandra, I love it! I can't wait to try peppermint too.
RB said…
Did you put some kind of oil in with the flowers in the jar, or did the liquid that's in the jar come off the flowers?
We've been seeing this growing in fields and ditches in NC for years and wondered what they were. (Now we know. LOL)
Have even tried to transplant some from the field across the road from us (the neighbor doesn't mind). Once moved and replanted, they didn't take. So this year, we're going to try for the seeds.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, I filled the jar with dried calendula flowers, then filled the jar with organic olive oil. The flowers petals and oil infuse. The flowers have to dry at least 12 hours before you can infuse them, or they say it will make your oil go rancid (if the flowers are not dry they contain too much water).
Sam I Am...... said…
What a wonder you are! You go girl! I have had lip balm on my list for quite awhile now but I have to buy my ingredients from Mountain Rose. One of these days I'll get my little place and grow again....in more ways than one!
Sam I am, I grew my calendula flowers in a pot. I just kept cutting off flower heads until I had enough. Next year, I'll plant them directly in the herb garden.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart