Skip to main content

My Achy Bones.....

We had so much fog yesterday morning, that our kid's school actually closed.  This worries me as we tend to run out of snow days, and end up having school run into summer.



This orb weaver web looked kind of creepy in the fog, so I just had to take a photo.  He/she makes an appearance throughout the day.



By late evening, Hubby and I made progress.  The only casualties we endured were blisters, sore muscles and achy bones.  Oh, and I broke the sledge hammer (sad face).  It was only about 3-4 years old too.  Guess we are buying a new one.  Hubby accused me of breaking it so we could stop for the night.  Ha ha, he's so funny.

I am so worn out and tired, I wasn't sure I had the strength to lift my hands to blog this morning.  We also knocked out some boards on the sides.  Before the barn work, I spent all day weeding my herb garden (which I need to finish up today).


Barn treasures!  While I was knocking out the bottom level, and Hubby was on the upper, I found these.  My long lost tape measure that was typically kept for house use, and Hubby's hammer.  They were in the old goat stall area.  



I don't typically make soup on such a warm day, but the morning was cool, and got me in the mood.  And I needed a dinner that would be ready quickly when Hubby got home.  It is a new recipe (from the pile), and is pretty self sufficient (other than the Worcestershire sauce), so I think I'll keep it.

If my achy bones and muscles recuperate today, and I get time, I will post the recipe.  

Comments

Kim said…
I bet you slept well! put a new handle on that sledge and you are ready to go.
Kim, you should of heard us after we came in - moaning and groaning like we never worked in our lives, ha ha!
Wow! look at that! y'all seem to be making some progress on that big ol' barn!
Soup sounds good, not to mention, easy.
I bet you are sore and tuckered out from all that work.
Susan said…
You and Hubby be careful with that barn! I bet you found muscles you didn't know you had. That's a big job, but it will be so wonderful when it's done. Looking forward to that recipe.... :)
Patricia, we are pretty sore today.
Susan, we are trying to be very careful, and the kids are not allowed to help, even the adult kids - too dangerous. I'm nervous being under the loft, as I see many, many rotted boards.
Stephen said…
That's a stunning picture of the spider's web. Frameable quality I think!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart