Skip to main content

Dehydrating Garlic

It's that time of year again, when I dehydrate my home grown garlic.
I know many of you already do, but I wanted to post this for those new at dehydrating.


Each clove is peeled and thinly sliced.


 Then, the slices are placed onto my dehydrator trays, and dehydrated.   Once they are dry, I put them into my coffee grinder (a small one I use for this sort of thing), and grind them down to a fine powder.   This year I wanted to make garlic flakes, but my harvest was not that good. It's enough to get us into the winter, but not all the way.  I may need to increase what I plant next fall. 

Comments

Wow!! I never even thought about making my own dehydrated garlic!!! Thanks so so much for sharing!! God bless
Kelly
Mama Pea said…
So how does the house smell while the garlic is dehydrating? Hee-hee.

A question: Why don't you use the garlic "fresh" during the year until it's gone instead of dehydrating and making powder or flakes of it? Just wonderin' . . .
Mama Pea, I use a lot of garlic powder for different recipes, and it can last up to a year. My whole cloves last 3-6 months for other recipes.
Lilac Cottage Homestead, you are welcome. We use the powdered garlic for many recipes.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart