Skip to main content

Chickpea Stuffed Shells ~ On the Road



Last night's dinner - chickpea stuffed shells, corn off the cob mixed with sauteed onion, butter and zucchini, and a pot of baked beans with sliced cooked brats in it. The beans/brat pot was Son's only request at dinner.  

We had a fun dinner too, as Oldest Daughter called and said she had "three hungry teenagers" and stopped in with them.  Of course they are her age, but it was fun to have them here for dinner.  Then just as they arrived, Hubby pulled in with Youngest Daughter's friend.  It was a full house, but lots of laughs, and plenty to go around.

I don't see that I have ever shared this recipe...
... it came from my older sister, who is a vegetarian.  We love them, so here you are.  I double it for us.  Leftovers reheat nicely too. If you are lucky to have leftovers, ha ha! 

Chickpea Stuffed Shells
18 uncooked, jumbo pasta shells
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, organic, rinsed and drained
2 egg whites (see notes)
15 oz. container of ricotta cheese (or use homemade)
1/2 c. minced fresh parsley
1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
1 jar spaghetti sauce, organic or homemade (see notes)
1 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Cook pasta according to package.

Meanwhile, place beans and egg whites in a food processor/blender; cover and process until smooth.  Add ricotta, parsley, Parmesan, onion, garlic; cover and process until well blended.  Pour 1 1/4 c. sauce into an un-greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.  Set aside.  Drain pasta shells (I rinse mine with cold water so I can handle them).  Stuff shells with chickpea mixture, and place in sauce.  Drizzle with remaining sauce.  Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes at 350°F for 30 minutes or until heated through.  Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.  Bake 5-10 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.

Notes:  I don't measure my sauce, because we like extra in it.  I have also made this with the entire egg, but you can save your yolks for homemade noodle making, or another recipe too.  

Son is back on the road today.  It feels too quiet again.  When he is home, the TV is playing movies every night, ha ha!  My sister-in-law is his co-pilot for the trip, so I feel much better.  I know he's an adult, but I'm still a Mom.

Our time with Son was short, but we made the most of it, extended family and friends included.  


We found out, while he was in CA, he ran a half marathon and came in 7th!!  I am framing this for him.  That's pretty impressive. 

School starts tomorrow for the younger two, and then next week one leaves for college. 

The big barn project was supposed to start yesterday, but they did not show up.  That was one of the reasons Hubby and I did not co-pilot Son to his next destination.  I had another person stop in yesterday inquiring about it now.  It's frustrating to deal with it anymore.  We may end up knocking it down ourselves, and cutting the beams for firewood.

Well, I plan to watch the sunrise this morning, and enjoy the quiet time.  I have some onions to put up for winter this week.  Two things we got from the garden this year - tomatoes and some onions.  I am grateful that it too. 

Where did the summer go?  Hubby better start chopping trees down, or fall will pass us by too.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Sounds like you've just gone through some non-stop busyness, but good times, at your house. In a week, it WILL seem very different and quiet in your surroundings.

Regarding getting your big barn torn down, doesn't the lack of responsibility and follow-through of people drive you crazy these days? You don't know anymore if you can take people at their word. Not good.

Sure is a good thing you had made an ample dinner last night. Now that I'm cooking for just the two of us, most nights if we had that many drop-ins, I'd have to make a big bowl of popcorn and say, "That's it, folks!"
Mama Pea, it is frustrating to work with these people. It is very strange here today, with Son gone. I had to laugh at the popcorn statement, ha ha! With our household shrinking down, I'll be downsizing my meals. I won't be putting 2 large baking dishes in the oven for much longer.
Kim said…
It sounds like you had a wonderfully busy weekend and I will have you in my thoughts and prayers today and in the near future. I remember what it was like when the nest started to empty out. I also remember learning to cook for 2. I would ask dh what sounded good for dinner and he would reply, "it doesn't matter as long as we don't have to eat it for 2 weeks". LOL! I even had to go and invest in a few smaller pots to cook in!
EMMA said…
Yum another delicious sounding recipe - thanks for sharing it!
Susan said…
Those stuffed shells sound wonderful - I wonder if I can find them GF. I will have to look. Every meal is better when shared in friendship, I think. Enjoy your peace and quiet - we have the same problem here; with people saying they will do something and then not following through. If you and your husband decide to do it yourself - be careful! These old buildings are very tricky!!!
Oh my gosh Kim, you made me laugh. We can eat on leftovers for days right now, ha ha!
Susan, we keep getting people who stop and ask, but even so no one has come through on their word. Even though we had unexpected company, it was fun. They were just lucky that I baked two full baking dishes of stuffed shells.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart