Skip to main content

More Rain ~ More Jam


I'm canning more jam.  More strawberries went into the freezer, but I have four quarts left.  It rained off and on, so I could not get into the garden early anyway.


After the first morning batch was made yesterday, I was summoned to take school photos (albeit a bit late this year).  We do not purchase many school photos, due to the high cost, and the girls like to pick out their background here on the homestead.  
  
We dodged a rain shower, and got some decent photos.  


Jam utensils were cleaned up and we started the process all over again.

I got a good hour of weeding done in the garden.  I was surprised at how some of it was already dried out (lots of wind).
 
I was hesitant to clean the chicken coop, with the sporadic rain, so I left it for today.  

I am able to start back on my kitchen cupboards now.  I got another touched up, and ready to add hardware to it.  I am simply squeezing that job in, in between my other chores.

I don't have photos, but Youngest Daughter mixed up homemade pancakes (and sausage) for our breakfast - we mixed in fresh strawberries and frozen blueberries.  Yum!

Comments

Mama Pea said…
I'm jealous of you having strawberries to eat and can already. Ours in the garden won't be ready for 3-4 more weeks yet. I popped the blossoms off the new berries yesterday (hate to do that!) and I fear what is remaining of the old bed will give us only enough to eat fresh. But that will be enough to keep us going until next year . . . or it will have to be!

I didn't have to dodge rain showers yesterday, but rather onslaughts of black flies. I think I'd rather have the rain!
Mama Pea, we have everbearing strawberries in our raised beds, and they did terrible this year. I want to pull them all and plant larger berry plants. The strawberries were delicious in our pancakes today, although I could do without the syrup and extra butter, sigh...
EMMA said…
Yum strawberry jam. We are getting enough to eat each day but not enough to make jam - off to market tomorrow morning to see what I can find there!
I was doing so well at not being hungry until now - but the idea of panckes, sausage and berries is just too much for my will-power to handel.
Emma, we are really enjoying them, and our leftover pancakes were dinner last night too, ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart