Skip to main content

Wild Stinging Nettle?


If this is what I think it is, I've hit the jackpot for my herbal teas this year.  Is this stinging nettle?  I see spiky thing-a-ma-jobs (can you tell I have kids?) all over the center stem and on the leaf stems.

More photos.




If it is, I'm gonna need a few more herb drying racks.  I'm heading out to the big barn and ripping off some siding.  Woo hoo, barn destruction has started.  

A teensy bit anyway.



Comments

JES said…
Brush your hand against them and you will know immediately :) What a find! We also have them growing and I have dried them for teas. They are excellent for women's health.
Susan said…
Looks like it to me! Bonanza!
Mama Pea said…
Looks like stinging nettle to me. But, gosh, what a big bunch of it you have there. Seems like it must have been there last year if not longer. Watch out though or it will take over the whole acreage!
EMMA said…
Does it sting?
We've been having nettles in our morning smoothies. Apparently nettles are good for hayfever as they reduce the hitamine in the body!! but it's snowing here today so my boys allergies are not bothering them.
Jes, Hubby said that it stings his legs when he mows, so it has to be stinging nettle.
Susan, I can't believe I never saw it there before.
Mama Pea, I am getting some barn wood ready to make another herb rack, then I'll let Hubby weed wack the rest.
Emma, I have heard it's great for allergies.
Carolyn said…
How lucky to find that....and withOUT being stund to find out :)
I've been looking for stinging nettle on or around our place for years and haven't found any.
Carolyn, I was out walking dogs, and saw it. I caught it before Hubby weed wacked.
RB said…
I Googled it, selected [Images] and it does look like some of the strains shown there. You might want to double check with Google to see what you think though. If it is, it's prone to aphids which can decimate the plant quickly, so watch closely for those.
God bless.
RB
<><
Sam I Am...... said…
It looks like it and I had it on my farm and ouch did that stuff hurt! I walked through the pasture and got it just about all over me and I was "hurtin' for certain"! Wear gloves! It hurts for a long, long time too!
Sam I am, I went to cut some today, and saw that a few leaves trapped a few bugs and spiders.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart