Skip to main content

More Planting ~ Stake Out


The carrots and beets are now planted.  Each row is about 43 feet long.  We really need more, but I'm working on that.  I got the last two rain barrels in place for the next rainfall as well.  I need the water to plant everything else mid-May.

Hubby and I are figuring out the best place to install my new  (concord) grape arbor.  That is next on the list too.

Remember my new elderberry trees I planted last year?  Well, I found another use for them.  I read that you can stuff elderberry branches/leaves into mole tunnels to get rid of them.  My trees are not really big enough yet, but I do plan to try this if the moles continue to dig tunnels.  


This Spring I finally got smart.  Instead moving Orion to the west of the garden, to munch it down, I am rotating the ladies.  Maybe even Rue (our wether).   I put a stake and tie-out in the pasture just behind our garden, and next to the goats.

While I'm in the garden, one lady at a time, gets to hang out with me.  Peanut got first dibs.  I staked her in the pasture, and she could see me, see the other goats, and get her fill of goodness (and I get less weeds in my garden, but no "goat" smell wafting my way either). 

Expanding the garden, with the help of the goats, is part of our pre-root cellar planning.  If it gets built, we'll need more garden space for the loot we want to stock up. 

We also planted another 16 cabbages, but now I'm wondering how many I'd need for feeding us all winter.  Not to mention an increase of all root vegetables.  


It's back to the garden today. That is, if I can motivate Hubby. 




Comments

Liz said…
What a great way to knock those weeds down! I got my garden tilled and ready to plant! Will you try making kraut with some of the cabbages? I have been really looking into that myself. Happy planting!
EMMA said…
Sounds all very busy with you. How nice of the goats to help out.
I really need to look into a root cellar - we have a cellar already but it's a bit damb and full of tools!!
Liz, the goats are happier too. They have already eaten down the grass in their fenced in area. I've canned cabbage once, but it discolors quickly. I have a fermentation kit know, so I hope to try it in small batches.
Emma, we found out the permit fee is only $50.00. We just need supplies, time.
RB said…
All sounds great.
Have fun!!!

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart