Skip to main content

A Year of Hemingway ~ Tidbits



I finally finished The Sun Also Rises, and now I'm onto the next one.   I think the most enjoyable part of this one, was reading his descriptions of the bullfighting.  I, as a youngin' got to see a real life bullfight in Madrid.   I have a photo album with photos somewhere around this place.
 

And boy did Hemingway like his drink.  Every page, or more like almost every paragraph (or sentence) he was partaking in fundador, absinthe, wine, whiskey and soda, or other drink.  In this book it seemed he an his friends, enjoyed partying the fiesta days away in Spain. 

Reading time has been slow going around here.  I do have a few more in line after I finish the next.


I have this to read Letter of Ernest Hemingway.  It contains many letters that Hemingway wrote in his lifetime.


I have an old library copy of A Moveable Feast.



And and I have old library copy of Islands in the Stream.


I put a few plant hooks out, while the ground is still wet, and brought out a porch sign and wind chime.  Today, I plan to put the first coat of paint on the two chairs.  If case you are wondering why I haven't even started the painting process....

...yesterday we took some of the kiddos to Africa.

Looks that way right?

I'll share that tomorrow.  I have lots of pictures to share.



Comments

Susan said…
That book of his letters looks interesting. I am extremely nosy that way - I tend towards biographies and autobiographies. Looking forward to your pictorial post!
Susan, I agree, the one with his letters should be very interesting.
Sam I Am...... said…
Good for you reading Hemmingway and I like the idea of picking an author and reading all their books.
I think it was fairly well known that he was an alcoholic and a womanizer from what I remember but a lot of the writers from that era were. It was like a rite of passage....the image of tortured creative souls.
Sam I am, you are right about Hemingway and drinking. In this last book, he is drinking in every paragraph, pretty much.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart