Skip to main content

Wonderful Weekend


The weekend was very peaceful, the sun appeared, and the temperature was wonderfully warmer.


Hubby needed a long nap when he arrived home Saturday, so I took that time to work on my hand towel.  We put off noisy house cleaning (banging dishes, vacuuming, etc.) until  next week.  We just wanted a slower weekend for once.



Sunday morning the snow was just about gone, so I did some less tedious work.  I pulled on my muck boots and picked up all the trash that got blown into the front of our property.




I also swept off the front porch, in anticipation for porch enjoyment, sunrises, sunsets, after school tea time, after dinner chat time, meals outdoors, reading time, and so much more.  Hubby and I took our "camping" chairs to the porch and enjoyed ourselves.


Hubby evidently missed my home cooked food.  His mouth went a mile-a-minute at telling me what he'd like for meals this next week.  He wants Chicken Teriyaki with homemade sauce, Flour-less Brownies and Whiskey Butterscotch Sauce, and he wants to grill out.  He wants meatloaf and the works, and everything else. 

Today, and the week however, will be busy with work.  And guess what?  Hubby is looking at root cellar plans!  


Comments

JES said…
Sounds like a wonderful and peaceful weekend :) Thank you for sharing your sweet photos with us.
Mama Pea said…
I know you must be so, so happy to have your hubby home again, and I can just feel his joy at being home through your words. When a guy has a good cook at home, being away from it for a while is truly hard on his taste buds! Have a wonderful week.
Kim said…
My fingers are crossed for the root cellar. Maybe being away has made him rethink how important it is to be prepared. Glad you had a nice weekend,
JES, it was a very wonderful weekend. Glad you liked the photos too.
Mama Pea,it's been so nice to have Hubby around again, and he is fired up to do some work around here. He said being away made him realize what is appreciates so much.
Kim, he's even looking around the property to locate the best place for it. We can stock up so much more, and have a storm shelter too.
Susan said…
There IS no place like home, is there? So glad you had a wonderful weekend - and glad for you all that your husband is back home.
Your weekend sounds like a perfect way to relax after time away and to enjoy down time. Pretty crochet, loving the colors! And, do I notice pink eyeglasses? Very nice! :)
GratefulPrayer, thank you, yes those are pink reading eye glasses.
Mary said…
Oooh I'm so happy for you all, reading this made me smile & truth be told a tear to my eye. I look forward to reading more in the months to come, including about the root cellar.

My grandparents old farm in Vermont had a root cellar, but I really didn't know much about it.. so I googled and found this Farmer's Almanac article http://www.almanac.com/root-cellar-build on the subject. There's alot more to it than what I'd originally assumed.
It's nice that you had such a wonderful restful weekend.
Just getting the porch swept and tidied up to have a place to sit together-- sounds so wonderful.
All my porches need attention.
Funny, when I read here-- you remind me of ALL THE OTHER STUFF...that needs doing. Here I thought I was being productive!
Have a nice week with your family.
Mary, so glad you enjoyed my post and blog. I know some days are not all good, but we really did have a wonderful weekend.
Patricia, we have a long list of to-do's, so I try to put the most important on top, but some days I just need to get outside.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart