Skip to main content

Winter Prep List ~ Dishwasher Detergent

Yesterday I gave my master bathroom a good cleaning, but the tub was left to scrub today.  I made sure I had porch time.  I also got the bills paid and propane ordered, so a big cup of coffee was needed this morning.  

My coffee cup today is actually pink with white polka dots.  The early light in the kitchen makes it look different.  

We are making progress on the "Winter Prep" list, but


...we still need to purchase our snow fencing.  After years of major drifting it is well over due.  It will help keep the driveway free of less snow.  Hubby thinks we'll need two 100-foot fences.

Here is the recipe I use to make my homemade dishwasher detergent:

1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda

1 cup white vinegar 

Mix together to remove clumps (I use an old food processor for soap making, and mark it with a permanent marker).

Place in airtight container.  Place 2 teapsoons into the dishwasher soap compartment.  Pour about 1 cup of white vinegar into the very bottom of the dishwasher.  Run as you normally do.

This is a two step detergent, but I've used it for several years and it works well, even with our well water.  



I finally got a few more vanilla beans to get my vanilla extract made.  My goal is to get 4 more jars made up.  

These will sit for over 6 months before I use them in the kitchen.  There are many recipes on the internet, but so far we like the flavor of 5 beans to 1 cup vodka.  I gifted this for Christmas last year, and it was well liked. 

Today the weather is much warmer than yesterday.  My plans were to go out and pull pepper plants and corn stalks, but I just checked the weather.  Rain is on the way today. Hmpf.  So, I guess it's indoor work again today.  That's okay.  I want to get stuff tidied up for winter, and my bills I paid need filed and shredded etc.  I'm leaving the dishes for the girls.  They are constantly using the excuse "I have homework" to leave them sit all night.  They have a chart to go by, so they better get crackin' on it tonight.

I am so glad we did not put the porch furniture in storage yet.  It was nice to sit out there until dark with Hubby last night.  Maybe I could get him to play cards tonight.  We haven't played cards since we camped last.  



The spiders are not getting the "memo" around here.    You can't really tell, but it's about 2 1/2 inches in diameter.   Not sure where he came in from, but I put "spider spray" (peppermint oil/water) everywhere.   I left this huge guy for Hubby to take care of, as it was taunting me all day in the cardboard box I put recycling in.  He's probably still there today.  If so, I'm dragging that box outside (with a long broom) until he does get the memo - no vacancy. 

Speaking of pests, my time on the porch early in the morning, was cut short.  A large raccoon crossed over the highway from a corn field.  It must be sick.  I hope it kept on going, because I couldn't find it after I went inside.  I did alert the kids and Hubby.  The last thing I need is it to cause my animals harm.  One of our barn cats had been on the porch with me at the time, and she saw it before I did and ran off. 

Well my coffee cup is about empty, and I need to tackle my worst jobs first today.  Then it's back to the porch to crochet (or write) until Hubby comes home.  If the rains stops we'll cut more wood.
 



 

Comments

I love your five minutes on the porch and sharing your productivity.
It's like chatting over coffee with a friend. ;)
Mama Pea said…
I pulled my pepper plants and corn stalks this past Friday. Past time for that to happen for me.

I bought vanilla beans a while back to make my own vanilla extract, but have never done it. I need a fire lit under me!

I haven't seen any spiders, but I do find the occasional earwig. (((Shudder.))) Those things freak me out!
Michelle said…
Thanks for the dishwasher soap recipe. Will give it a try today. My neighbor lost two chickens to a raccoon a couple of days ago. He bit their heads off. Then left them. That seemed weird at the time. In less he had planned to come back for them.
Carolyn said…
Ok, TODAY is the day. I'm going to finally order vanilla beans (where do you get yours?) AND make some homemade diswasher soap. Thanks for the prodding :)
Liz said…
I have been pulling pepper plants too. So hard to think of garden season over.
Glad you put up that recipe for vanilla. I need to make another batch. What type of vodka do you use?
Liz, I use 80 proof. You can use any brand but I recently used Seagram's Extra Smooth.
Carolyn, I order my vanilla beans from beanilla.com
RB said…
Yuck, that looks like a Brown Recluse. Was it?

I hope all your animals are ok cause that sick 'coon doesn't sound good. First, it's odd for a 'coon to be out in daytime, and second, it's odd for a 'coon to come around habitation, they're generally shy animals.

One thing I've done to save $$$, and I've seen no difference in the quality of the washing is, I only fill the second detergent cup in the dishwasher (the one that opens part-way through the cycle), and use the first one for a pre-wash with nothing in it. That's a 50% savings, and that's nothing to sneeze at, especially with the prices of everything going up regularly.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, we are not sure yet. I'm asking my son. We think it's a very large wolf spider.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart