Skip to main content

Leaves are falling


It was pretty cold yesterday.  However, we are not heating just yet here.  I like how the leaves on the ground make a dark day bright.  I could not rake them up just yet.  These will eventually go on the garden (unless a big wind whips them away before then).

See that pot of geraniums?  I have two actually. Mid summer when my original plants died, I bought them at the grocery store, half dead and for pennies.  They are still blooming, while the hostas are turning for the fall season.

I was successful in drying an entire.....

. . . load of towels outside yesterday.  The sun finally arrived about dinner time, but the wind was perfect for drying.


I have been using my latest project - magnetic clipboard.  I posted it over on my S.C.R.A.P. Blogspot (linked) to share.  My kids are constantly stealing my paper or pen, and this has really helped stay organized.  I love it!  I will have to make a few more of these. 

Today I get to cross something off the winter prep list - chimney sweep.  Yay!  They come today finally.  Boo on the cost.

Yesterday my egg production total was 3.  That is better than 0, but I must get my heat lamp out this weekend.  With the lack of sunshine, I am sure the heat will help the ladies.




Something new ~  taught myself the purl stitch, using the crochet afghan hook and #8 crochet thread (75% cotton, 25% acrylic).  Not my favorite stitch (I like knitting this stitch better), but I learned something new.  I am crocheting us a few extra cleaning cloths in the process.  Although this stitch is not a favorite, I find these to make a nice thick square or panel for a cotton blanket or throw too. 




Five Minutes for Me ~ my plan today is to read this article.  Can you read the caption?  It says "Taking these strategic steps may land you a quiet place to work on your projects," by Lauren Carter.  It's referring to writing projects.  Although the photos are quite "out there" in my opinion, I'm going to create a writing space somewhere, somehow.  It may not be on the back porch on a table, or in a cabin, on on a lake, but I'm determined.  I think I'll mix up a glass of elderberry oxymel and club soda, and don my sweatshirt.  I need a porch "fix" today (before we store up the furniture for the season).

I better get this posted and get busy.  The kids left the front room in a bit of a tizzy, and that is where the wood stove is.  A strange heavy fog has rolled in, and the outdoors looks strange this morning. 

Comments

Susan said…
It is so important to create a space for creating! I am so much better at espousing this than actually following it, but I am aiming for a space of my own, too. Unfortunately, every space is shared with dogs and cats. Our leaves are on the ground, too. I love the smell, sight and sound of them.
Mama Pea said…
A space of your own. Ahhh, yes. I can't tell you how many years I quilted on the kitchen table. The only time I did quilt was on Saturday nights, because it was so much of a hassle to set up my sewing machine, cutting mat and tools and gather together the fabric I needed which was stashed in three different places in the house. I've had my quilt room (yes, a whole room!) for a few years now and truly appreciate it every time I walk in there.

You will get your own room, too, someday, Kristina. Sometimes we do have to wait what seems like a long time, but it's important to those of us who need to be creative so hang in there!
Sam I Am...... said…
You'll create that time and space for yourself because it's important to you. Love the gorgeous fall pictures and how I wish I could hang clothes outside here.
Enjoy your weekend and your clean stove.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart