Skip to main content

Fillin' Up ~ Dried Leaf Art


Sunday morning consisted of more wood splitting and stacking.  It feels good to gain on that job.  We are trying to get all the wood inside the barn split first, before we tackle the monstrosity pieces again.  We are getting another tree soon, and that wood needs a place to dry inside the barn.  I'm excited to get a bit ahead on our supply.
We got more outdoor work finished - mowing,etc.  I got the last bag of hedge apples all dispersed.  Spiders beware!

I'm calling today. The dreaded call.  To find out the cost of propane this year.  Last year we were smart and filled up before the crisis of the winter shortage came about.

It's a must do, on the list of today's to-do's.  


I dug out another unfinished project.  Yep, I did.

It's been on my list for 2-3 years now.  It was just something that got put off due to work here.  I finally dug out the parts and did a little every day.  

I even had to go collect more leaves before I could finish it.

What is it?


It's a rooster I made by dried leaves from our homestead, and gluing them to art paper.  I decided to bring the beauty of the outdoor fall season into the home. 

Hubby was impressed so I wasn't scolding for playing around.  It fits nicely on our living room wall.  It felt good to finally get something done I have wanted to do for such a long time too.  I don't know why that was so important to me, but it was.  Some half-way projects last year were simply given away, but this one made it to the finished list. 

 

Another handmade project went out the door a few days ago, so those handicraft items were put back in storage.  This was a gift for one of Mom's friends, and it's a recycled nut container lid, with shells glued around the edge for a candle holder.  You can get directions on my S.C.R.A.P. Blog to make one for yourself.  I had different shaped shells this time, but if you are lucky, you can find shells at thrift stores and dollar stores to make these.  It will hold a candle 3 inches in diameter.

The air is cool and crisp this morning.  The sky is clear and I could see the stars beautifully while I took dogs out in the dark.

I think I will enjoy five minutes on the porch early, as it's a house cleaning, bill paying day today.

Comments

I love that Rooster with leaves from you homestead.
You have me thinking about creating a masterpiece with something from our home...before we move. A souvenir!
Susan said…
That rooster is wonderful! Isn't it a great feeling to finish projects that have been almost-done for a long time? I am with you on the cost of heating fuels. I had to order fuel oil and it made me grit my teeth. My neighbor said to 'wait a while', but I have to get it when I have the money to pay for it.
Susan, last year the company we buy from had a shortage due to weather and trucks getting it in etc. I am with you - order when I have the money.
Carolyn said…
That rooster is beautiful! And what a great idea. I think I'll have the kids at our homeschooling group do something just like that for art class :)
Katmom said…
Yepadoodle, it's that time of year again... 'nesting' for the WInter... like you, our wood is chooped & stacked... and we filled our propane tank 3 weeks ago... just before the rates went up. Whew!
What a wonderful project with the leaves... I wish I had the 'vision' to assemble different leaves to create a picture... alas, I will just enjoy looking at yours.
hugz & stay warm and happy.
>^..^<

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart