Skip to main content

Library Goodies ~ Puttin' Up






My older brother shared several books with me, and these two came in recently.  As you can see, I have already started marking recipes to play around with.

All of the books I am sharing today, had to be borrowed from other libraries via the library interloan program.  If a participating library has a book that our library does not, we can still order it, and have it sent to our local library.



Only one library had this book, and I have yet to read all the recipes.  I love it.  There are many that use what we grow in the garden.


Can you believe that have book for this?  Ha!  I saw it on another blog and just had to order a copy.  There are some very neat ideas in it.  I doubt I'll have playtime this summer, but I wanted to get a sneak peek into it just in case.



Catching up has been tough, but I continue to get done what I can.  No pun intended (ha ha!) but I canned another 5 - 1/2 pints of Cinnamon Blueberry Jam, 4 quarts of hot pepper mustard sauce, and chopped up some jalapeno peppers to squeeze into any hole left in the freezer.  I didn't want to drag out the dehydrator for a few handfuls.  Other than that, I've been trying to organize my bedroom again, by decluttering it by a few items a day, and regular chores - laundry, dead-heading flowers, checking the garden, dishes, meals, etc.

I had a little extra mustard sauce, so the kids used it on leftover chicken.  I didn't get a chance to taste it, but according to them, my hot banana peppers are hot this year. 

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Don't know if it's good or bad, cut I've been purposely avoiding the library lately. Seems this time of year I bring books home, they sit for four weeks and I have to return them before I even get to look at them! Need to start a winter book list. (Ha! As if I need more books to put on The List!) Summer time, summer time. Don't cha just wish it would s-l-o-w down?
Liz said…
Crafting with cat hair? lol... I just ordered The vegetarian cooking for everyone. I can't wait to start testing recipes. Almost have enough peppers for the mustard sauce!
My daughter bought me about 3 books for diabetic cooking...I haven't cracked open one book yet. I need to-- I'm at the point now where I'm burnt out, with the diet.
good job on the canning...I just don't plant enough to can too much. I have put 8 qts of green beans in the freezers. Most of all our veggies have gone to the table and we've eaten lots of fresh...either way, still good eatin' !

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart