Skip to main content

Goat's Milk Cream Cheese ~ Take 2


I purchased the culture I needed for cream cheese making, and made homemade cream cheese again.  I am desperately taking advantage of the goat's milk this summer.

How did it turn out (photo included this time)?  



Well, much better than the batch with buttermilk.  I also used a cream cheese bag the first time (not a good idea, as the material is thick and draining takes much longer).  This time I used cheesecloth.

I do not have any hardware on my cupboards, so I tied it to a spoon and rested the spoon over a tall pot for it to drain. 

This tastes wonderful!  Again I used this recipe online:  DIY Cream Cheese

Update 8/31/14:  When I follow the linked recipe, I use unpasteurized goat's milk.  I let it sit in the fridge a few days, allowing the cream to rise, and measure my two cups without shaking up the jar of milk.  If you don't (using goat's milk), you may only get half of the intended yield (which is more than a block from the store).  

Did anyone else get out their flannels last night?  Ha ha!  Well, it wasn't that cold, but this weather is amazing!  It's not good for my hot peppers, but awesome for outdoor work, and absolutely the best for camping.



Comments

See a great reason to consider keeping the goats...1 point for the PRO side of the argument. I'd love to make cream cheese...I eat that in the morning on my half bagel I allow myself! When I have one. ;) I've made cheese similar to ricotta, by using left over milk (usually slightly blinky) and cheese cloth, I use the whey I get from it for mac and cheese for the Littles! When you drained your cheese, what did you do with your whey? You didn't say?
We weren't cold enough for warm jammies last night...but it is nice and cool today and we had a good long shower this morning- it will do the garden some good!
Take care. Pat
Pat,right now I am freezing to use later to make rice.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart