Skip to main content

Picking Strawberries ~ Wild Turkey


I picked over a cup of strawberries, and decided to make muffins with them.  I had a few last bags of blueberries in the freezer to use up too.  They are so good.  I was so happy to find a jar of applesauce in my pantry too.

It's the extent of my work yesterday, other than washing a load of laundry.  Storm clouds moved in, but no rain, and just more humidity.  Hot, muggy and uncomfortable.  The kind of weather where you have to peel off your clothes at the end of the day.  My tummy was back to normal about bed time.
We do not have our window air conditioners in, and today it is to be in the 90's with a heat index around the same.  Last night it cooled down to the 70's.

Here is the recipe for the muffins, that I have been using over the years:

I got a little sloppy with my batter, but it was just too hot to be cooking, so I was trying to be quick.  Note: I did use an organic/non-gmo canola oil in ours.  I also used our goat's milk, but you can use any milk I think.  I did not have any whole wheat flour on hand, so I did use all-purpose this time.

Strawberry-Blueberry Muffins
3 Tbsp. Canola Oil 
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
optional:  nutmeg ( I do add this to mine )
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Either line a 12-cup muffin tin with tin (paper will stick) liners or spray with a non-stick spray.  Or you could use parchment paper too.

In a medium blow, whisk oil, applesauce, sugar and eggs. Add vanilla, blueberries and strawberries.

In another bowl, blend together flours, baking powder and salt.  I simply use a whisk to mix this.

Using a half portion at a time, alternate folding the flour and then the milk into the applesauce mixture.  Blend well. 

Pour your batter into the prepared muffin pan, and bake 25 minutes until golden brown, or until inserted toothpick comes out dry.  Allow them to cool for 20 minutes before removing them from the pan.

We spotted a wild turkey heading for my garden early morning.  I ran it off of course.  This is the first year we have seen any of them around here.  He better be movin' right on down the road.  And then some.  I did report it to the Wildlife Division for our state.  They have a submission form to report sightings.  Kind of neat to keep track of them, and possibly see where there are possibly too many of them.

And. . . you all probably saw the title for this post, and wondered if I was having a drink of Wild Turkey with my muffin, ha ha!

Today I will not be using my oven or stove.  We are opting for a cold salad with chicken and veggies. We might just get some rain today.  It would be wonderful for the garden and hopefully cool down our temperature here.

As for the rukus out back, we did discover 4-wheel tire tracks clearly on our property.  Without the survey, we could not call the Sheriff, but I did photograph it, along with the trash they left behind in two other areas.  Our lab starting growling at the tire marks in the grass Sunday morning.  Good dog!  I think I am finally okay with the "patience" part of the process  - all in God's timing.

Ecclesiasties 9:6 (NIV)
"For there is a proper time and procedure for every matter, though a person may be weighed down by misery."

Comments

Sandra said…
The muffins look delicious.
We have seen quite a few wild turkeys this past year.
I hope your issue get resolved with the neighbors property. That would be so frustrating.
Sam I Am...... said…
The muffins look good! I'll copy that recipe as I never make muffins but they would be good as opposed to the big bundt cake I made yesterday...I still can't stop cooking as if I have a big family.
I love that bible verse and have to remind myself of that all the time.
Hope you get your ac's in soon as I do believe summer has arrived!
Unknown said…
I need to plant some strawberries, or pot some in hanging baskets. Just can't fins a spot yet! We've just finished the last of our applesauce in my pantry too. Sadly no apples this year, after a big pruning, but I'll buy some local....
Sandra, we are praying it all works out and township shuts him down.

Sam I am, we finally (the girls and I) got one ac unit in. Phew.

Nancy po, we have seen strawberries sold in hanging baskets at our local hardware store (they sell plants too). They looked big and juicy too.
RB said…
We rarely take our window units out anymore; we just cover them over with bubble wrap and painter's tape come Fall.

With what's going on on "the other" property, one can't help but wonder if wildlife isn't being chased your way, hence the turkey you found in your yard. Remember, they're being affected too.

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, with all that chaos in the woods, the wildlife is greatly being affected. The deer too.
RB said…
Awww, I feel so sorry for the animals, for you too, but for the animals who rely on nature for food, shelter, etc., being affected by what's basically ignorant selfish louts.

I pray the government steps in for them and you soon - to levy huge fines and sanctions on those clods.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart