Skip to main content

June comes to an end. . .



Here are some new colors in my flower beds this month.





















I decided to leave this one (below) the flower garden.  I know it's like a weed, but we make jelly with the flower heads.


 (Queen Anne's Lace)

Sorry. My photos are not the best.  The breeze was pretty strong when I took them.
 
I started the day by dumping my coffee ground around the squash and tomato plants.  The egg shells went in another garden that will be tilled soon.

I did start with flower bed weeding, and eventually back the garden.   Once again my rose bed looks terrible.  I opted for quitting about 2pm.  I did work through two short rain showers, and it felt so good.

The girls picked raspberries for me, and Hubby did some weed wacking.  I don't know how, but he got out of weeding (again). 

July will bring more color to the flower beds.  My zinnias are about to bloom.


I ended the evening with a big stack of magazines and my favorite hang-out pal (Tiger).  Mom recycles her magazines to me, and I recycle them at the recycling center when I am done reading them. Or the kids save some for "cut out" projects and journals.  

Comments

Carolyn said…
Nothing better than sitting down with a furry pal to read after a hard day working.
your flowers looks lovely.
I can't believe it the end of June already!
Nice to have magazine that are passed along--free Yay!
I got to work in the garden a little bit this weekend. Had a baby shower and then some much needed rest.
I took advantage. ;)
Pat
Susan said…
That red lily is gorgeous! Do you know what kind it its? I only have the boring (but still pretty) orange ones and would love to add some zing to my flower bed.
I'm not sure what kind of Lily that is. Hubby brought them home a few years ago.
Sandra said…
I am sad to see June go...
Sam I Am...... said…
Your flowers are gorgeous! Yep! It's great after putting in a long day to kick back with some reading material and a favorite cuddler.
Liz said…
Your blooms are so pretty! I was so late getting things in no blooms yet. And I bought a whole bunch of lillies on sale that had already bloomed. Guess I will be surprised next year! Love relaxing with a big pile of magazines!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart