Skip to main content

Homesteading Tidbits ~ Ramble of Sorts



Started working on the family history project, and questions were sent out to Aunts and Uncles and parents (like I need another project, right?).    

You may need to grab of cup of coffee or tea to read this.  I didn't intend for it to be so long, but I may not be online this weekend.




Hubby's parents are both deceased, so I am limited to his side, but working no both sides of my own family.  I am please to already received answered questions back.  Life is too short to not ask questions.



Started collecting old clothes for our 2014 scarecrow.  This is "Martha" from 2011.  She, unfortunately went into the burn pile last summer - her legs broke and the wood basically gave way.  We'll have to start completely fresh this year.  I have overalls, a hat so far.  Most likely, I will find the rest I need as I deep clean





I signed up for Joyce Meyer's 3030 challenge - study the Bible for 30 minutes for 30 days straight.   I'm learning a lot about myself in just 3 days.  Yesterday, her broadcast was about patience.  Ha!

Let me tell you about patience.  Yesterday, after driving south to run errands, I came home to read "Chicken Feed Now" written on the fridge board.  Son must have written it before he had left for work.

So, after the girls got home, I drove north to do a library run (where I donated 4 gallon ziploc bags of foam shapes with stickers - BING!  One more thing out of my craft supplies that we are not using, and went to good use.  Oh, and a young beginner's book for spanish). Then back south to the feed store to pick up chicken feed, then over to the school (our pre-K to 12th school is out in the country) to pick up my 14 year-old from her after school spanish club.  

I sat there for fifteen minutes wondering why she was not out of the building yet.  Getting impatient, I called home.  She had not shown up or called.  I grew more impatient.  Then I called Hubby and inquired if she had mentioned going home with someone else.  Nope.  Frustrated that I had not brought a book to read, I sat tapping my fingers on the steering wheel, hmpfing every so often.   Finally I see her walk out.

As we pull into the driveway at home, I get out and realize that during all that time, I had a large bag of books and magazines behind my seat........from the library visit.  Duh!  

Just 2 hours prior to all of this, I had just read "According to 1 Samuel 'lack of patience can cause you to miss blessings'. . . ." from BibleStudyTools.com.  I guess I missed the blessing of those books and time to read them, because I was so too focused on impatience.  


This morning I took time to enjoy the sunrise.  We are due to have a warm up, and a lot of melting snow.

Enjoy your weekend.  I'm spending more time purging craft supplies, organizing, and deep cleaning.  Yesterday we unplugged for 6 hours.  The kids got the hint and got their chores done, but today there are dirty dishes everywhere again.  I may be unplugging all weekend as well.  One day they will "get it."












Comments

Michelle said…
I really enjoyed your post. The part about being inpatient fits me to a tee.
Candy C. said…
I could use a little more patience myself sometimes! Enjoy your weekend! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart