Skip to main content

Hamburger-Potato Crock Pot Dinner


First, the night before. . .
 

make a batch (best, or make ahead and freeze), of homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup.




Brown 1 lb. of organic/grass fed beef in a skillet.  Salt and pepper it.



While the meat is browning, peel and slice 6 medium organic (or homegrown) potatoes, placing them into a bowl with 1 cup water and 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar.



In another bowl, combine 1 onion diced, 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese, 1/4 flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.

Drain the meat, and place in the bottom of a crock pot.  Drain the potatoes.  Then top the meat with layers of potatoes.  Sprinkle the top of that with the cheese/onion mixture.  Slice up 2 Tbsp or organic butter and dot the top.

Spread the homemade condensed mushroom soup over top of everything.




(without the added extra cheese, and still delicious!)

Cook in the crock pot for about 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.  Sprinkle the top with 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese about 1/2 hour prior to serving.

Hamburger-Potato Crock Pot Dinner
1 lb.  organic, grass fed ground beef
1 cup water
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
6 medium organic potatoes, sliced
1 onion, diced
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese (divided)
2 Tbsp. organic butter
1 batch of homemade mushroom (condensed) soup

Brown ground beef in a skillet with a bit of salt and pepper.

In a separate bowl add water and cream of tartar. As you slice the potatoes, add them to the bowl.

In another bowl, mix onion, flour, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of cheese.

Layer, in the crockpot, the ground beef first, top with potatoes, then top with onion mixture.  Dot the butter over the top of that.  Spread the soup over everything.

Cover and cook for 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.

30 minutes prior to serving, sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.

Comments

EMMA said…
Yum (as usual) you always post such delicious looking food - your family must eat so well!!
Thanks Emma. I love to cook, but fish is very expensive here, and we really should eat more of it.
Mama Pea said…
True confession: I've never used a crock pot. This recipe may just be the push I need to join the modern world. I even have a crock pot. But I think my daughter borrowed it a long time ago. Hmmmm . . .
Candy C. said…
That looks really good! :)
I actually made my version of Hamburger Helper the other day but I call it Farmgirl Helper. LOL!!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart