Skip to main content

Homemade Cough Syrup

(the beautiful snowflake kitchen towel was part of a Christmas gift from my Mom)

Here we go again.  Cough, cold, and flu season.  However, I used my youngest daughter's technique with Google ("no time to shop" but it's really no way to get out of the driveway,  and the fact I need to make it with what I have on hand and stay warm inside), and came up with a cough syrup recipe.  We got dumped with snow, and today by afternoon the temps will be that glorious -20° to -40F.  Even banks closed today.  So.... 
(don't forget to click on "read more")




Besides, I can't let January go by without trying a new self-sufficient recipe of some sort.  And the fact we will be inside for the next 48 hours while we wait for the "deep freeze" to pass.

Note:  I have a disclaimer on my blog - I am not a doctor, so please read it, especially regarding homemade / natural remedies.  I simply share my personal experiences.  I do share, because there are folks out there who want to be more self-sufficient, live simple, and healthier lives.


Homemade Cough Syrup
1/2 cup good whiskey (or scotch, bourbon, or real moonshine)
1/2 cup raw honey
1/2 cup organic lemon juice
2 Tbsp of freshly grated ginger

Heat all ingredients on med-low heat until it simmers.  Remove from heat, strain and let cool.  Shake before using. Adult dose: 2 Tbsp. 

Note:  I used whiskey for my cough syrup.  I've tried making syrups in the past, without the alcohol, and they did not work as well.  It made the amount you see in the photo (I used a pint canning jar).

However, I do not know the proper storage for this cough syrup, nor the length of shelf life.  So, if you have experience with this, please do share.  I'm sure that this amount won't last long when there is bad cough going on, but it would be nice to have better knowledge of it.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
My 19 year-old needs to make more visits to see Winston, or he won't want to leave me.  This morning he face-rubbed my nose before I got up. Ha ha ha!

We are about to see the weather change to high winds and extreme cold temperatures.  Do you ever notice how dramatic the news forecasters are when unpleasant weather is due to arrive?  Stay warm and stay safe!


Comments

Unknown said…
Hope you're not TOO buried! That's sounds like the old remedy my Mom had as a kid to sleep with a bad cough/cold- boiling water, shot of alcohol, juice of 1/2 lemon, honey to taste. They'd also do mustard packs on their chests- dried mustard as a paste with a wet, hot flannel rag. She said they worked!
This cough syrup really works. I will have to keep whiskey on hand, especially in the winter time from now on.
RB said…
I would think the alcohol in the whiskey and the anti-bacterial properties of the honey would keep it shelf-stable for quite a while, at least if stored in a cool dark place.

And hey, if it doesn't work well for coughs, just pour it over some ice, add a swizzle stick and a lemon twist, and chug away. LOL

God bless.

RB
<><
RB, thanks for the tip on shelf life. You made me laugh too. So far, the syrup is working great.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart