Skip to main content

Let the Baking Begin!

My Christmas baking has begun.  It's official.  Drum roll please....

"You made buckeyes and you didn't save me any?!"  cried Hubby.

"Yes," I firmly replied.  "Out of sight, out of mind."

"Hmpf."


That's right.  We always over bake and we end up gaining weight from over indulgence, due to lack of self control.  I mean who can resist eating them if they are right there in front of you.  Right?

Yesterday I made one small batch of buckeyes, packaged them up, and shipped them to my Aunt.  She was due for a "box of happy" and I was surprised I managed to get it all done before the kids got home.

Hubby doesn't know this, but I secretly hid a container of the remaining buckeyes for Gramps.  He loves them, and it is the only thing he asks for, for Christmas.



The weather is about to change here.  It's been about 58°F for the last few days here.  By 2-3pm, it will be down to the 20's.  Freezing rain, and even possibly snow will come with the cooler weather as well. 

I wanted to take a photo of my chickens yesterday, but got side-tracked and didn't.  All 16 of them were lined up against the big ol' barn, taking dirt baths.  The 17th, the white rooster (not named yet) was wandering around watching them all.  It was nice to see them staying out of trouble.  This time of year, when the weather gets colder, they tend to get ornery.  They wander too close to the highway, get into my mulch in the flower beds, and poo on my front porch.    I get a lot of exercise chasing them this time of year.

On a last note, we found out that Alias is an awesome "mouser."  If there is one anywhere, he will sniff it out for us.  He discovered one he could not get to last night, and whined and whined, and stayed put.  Ha!  Who would have thought.  

Comments

cath carbone said…
Très joli post !
Very nice post!
Have a nice day! Cath.
Aw... I wish you could have snapped that picture of the chickens... I bet it would have been cute/funny!
Glad to know your Alias is a mouser...he is helping to earn his keep. lol... Good boy! Alias. (hate the mice)
I like that star with ever green on the barn wall...looks like a post card!
Pat
Sam I Am...... said…
I never think to make buckeyes I guess because I'm not from Ohio? But I've had them and love them so they're om my list now. Thanks for the reminder!
I saw something yesterday about chickens getting bored this time of year so they took a clear ornament and poked holes in it and filled it with chicken feed and they have a grand time with them...pecking and rolling them around the yard. Just a thought...might keep them off the highway and your porch.
Good boy Alias!!! Who knew...a mouser canine?
I'm trying to get all the laundry, baking, cooking and internet stuff done before we lose power. The ice is starting to coat the trees and it's raining so it's just a matter of time I think but I'm still praying it will turn to sleet or snow. If you don't see me around you'll know why! LOL!
RB said…
Don't know if our dog Buddy is a mouser or not, but he sure is good at sniffing out the moles and voles that cut through our yard - much better than our numerous cats are. He'll follow their scent right exactly to where they are, will dig them up, kill them and will drop it right at our feet.
So blessed he doesn't eat them. Not always a healthy thing for animals to do.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart