Skip to main content

Healthier Zucchini Cake ~ Blackstrap Molasses and Honey


I happened to be thumbing through a book I got for free at the library, and found a recipe for a healthier zucchini cake.  Although the book had outdated information on healthy eating, some of the recipes looked good enough to try (Foods that Heal, by Maureen Salaman and James F. Scheer, © 1989)

I had purchased blackstrap molasses from my last trip to Amish country (where it has been the only location to find it other than on the internet).

Hubby's co-worker shared two large zucchini's with us, so I made the cake to try, and shredded the remaining zucchini for freezing.  

The only thing I forgot to buy to finish this cake, was the slivered almonds.  Tip:  One of my daughter's suggested simply sprinkling chopped almonds on it next time.

Zucchini Cake
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups zucchini, grated
1 c. slivered almonds
1 c.  apricots, chopped
1 lime (or lemon)
1 c. safflower oil (cold press)
1 c. honey
1/2 c. blackstrap molasses
2 eggs
2 t. baking powder
1 c. spring water

Beat eggs.  Add honey and molasses while beating.  Grate rind of lime and add with lime juice.  Mix flour and baking powder.  Add water and oil alternately.  Add zucchini and apricots.  Place in 9 x 13 baking dish.  Sprinkle top with slivered almonds.  Bake 350°F in the oven for 40-45 minutes.

Note:  This cake is moist if using fresh apricots, which is what I used.  I did have to bake it a bit longer.  My family devoured it. 


Comments

EMMA said…
Yum. I often make a zucchini and chocolate cake, it's delicious but a bit laborious to make. This sounds like a quicker and healthier alternative. We are having an amazing Zucchini crop this year.
Oh this sounds SO GOOD. I keep BS molasses on hand for iron supplement (I get mine at the Mennonite bakery)
No one carries it here, otherwise.
So I'm thankful for that.
I need to pin the recipe. It's just too dern hot to heat up the oven. But I definitely want to try this.
Pat
Thank you so much for sharing this! I have been looking for a healthy zucchini recipe lately. I tried a zucchini brownie, but accidently put in too much zucchini (2 pounds instead of 2 cups)! I'll try this recipe and hopefully have more success.

Katrina Bogdon
www.ourhealingroots.blogspot.com
Candy C. said…
I love baking with molasses and honey instead of refined sugar. We have some of the LDS folks around here who make Sorghum molasses and it is pretty good. I'm saving this recipe, thanks!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart