Skip to main content

On the Loose ~ Camper

 "Big boy" (Orion) has been getting loose a lot lately.  This concerns me with the big barn too.  He got caught up inside where the loft caved down, so we are in a much needed hurry to find a way to remove that barn.  Money is extremely tight now, with all the repairs and replacements, so I am praying we can still find someone to take the wood.

It's not "Big Boy's" fault either. 
The ground is so wet, and the recent rain didn't help.  I do keep cables on hand for when they rust and break.  However, I do not keep the tie-out stakes on hand.  

I had to laugh at this, so I am sharing.  There were four of us in my bedroom, hovering over the flat screen TV, trying to see if it had a fuse we could simply replace (okay, so we can dream).  I have to admit it I was quite impressed to see my 16 year-old daughter talk about parts on the circuit board with her step-dad.  My son was looking it over too.  Evidently, my daughter loves this kind of stuff.  When I asked about classes at school, she said they only offer it in one grade.  I'm thinking the school should offer it a lot more than once.  

Anyway, back to the funny part.  I had asked my 14 year-old to go take down all the laundry off the line.  She exited my bedroom doors, that go to the patio where the line is at.  Not much time passed and she came screaming inside.

(He he!)

"Big Boy" was on the loose again, only this time he ventured way past the barns and into the back yard, where my daughter was taking the laundry down.  He was even sniffing the laundry she threw into the air that landed on the patio (he he he, ha ha ha!).

This time he broke the ring off the stake, so he's temporarily secured, until I can get to the Tractor Supply store for, not one, but two more stakes (to keep one on hand). 

Some day, unless she sells him, I plan to put him in an electric fence.  That is, if all this rotten stuff stops happening, and we don't have to keep replacing and repairing around here.

As for the flat screen TV, it's most likely going to be driven to Best Buy, where they recycle the good parts, so it won't end up in the dump.  I'm not seeing a new one replaced too soon either.  The night prior to the the fire, we came home with a camper.  Had we not, we'd be replacing everything right now.

When I get my head together, I will show you our new family camper.  It's an older model, but practical for family camping, and possibly glamping.  We are super excited, despite all the trauma and tribulations we are experiencing. 

Comments

Candy C. said…
Wow, I would think there would be all kinds of people willing to take the barn wood or even to pay for it, crafters, picture frame makers, etc. Have you tried putting an ad on CraigsList?
Your story of the goat reminded me, once again, why I don't have a buck! LOL!!
A trip in the new camper might be just what you guys need to get your minds off of all the other stuff.
Candy we did list it on Craigslist, but only got one inquiry (who never called back). It's a large barn too.
Camping does sound like bliss right now.
See... I want a goat, but then I read stories like this. I don't know if I have the patience. Good to know that y'all are used to it and can laugh about it!
Sorry to hear about the TV-- I guess homeowners insurance isn't covering any of this? Sometimes deductibles are just as much as replacement costs. So it evens out.
I'm with Candy-- I'd think someone would want to come and take that wood off your hands. You know work something out-- labor/cost , etc.
My brother has two barns on his property that he built by taking them down off someone property and hauling it off and cleaning up.
I guess people just want something for nothing now days.
Praying you get somebody that needs it or wants it bad enough.
Pat
Carolyn said…
Ugh, bucks. And then when I finally get rid of mine....I get a different one. Too bad they're necessary, I wish we had the moolah to have a fancy AI thingy.
Unknown said…
Any chance you could get help to cut the barn down into piles of firewood?

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart