Skip to main content

Farmstead Fun & Another Rooster Gone Wild


Hubby and I have been busy weeding flower beds, herb gardens and the vegetable garden. I also cut some oregano and thyme for drying.


On Saturday, I came inside to refill my water bottle and make sure the kids were up.  I took a quick look inside the shower and instead of tiles going back up, more were coming down.  Hubby found more mushy grout and pulled more tile off the wall to dry it out.  The tile project continues.  I am thankful we have a separate bathtub.


My son and 16 year-old daughter are busy removing the old horse fencing.


I broke down and bought a crochet pattern on Etsy.  I've been pondering it for a while. However, Rooster's Crow Farm now has a Rooster Christmas tree ornament.  And I have a good way to use up my cotton scraps of yarn. Isn't he cute?!  

Here is where I found the pattern for this ornament:  PDF Crochet Pattern, Crocheted Rooster Ornaments (Etsy)

Sunday, I was banned from the outdoor work.  Every day I come in bone tired, and have absolutely no energy to cook a meal.  

Even though the kids know how to cook (somewhat), they don't know how to cook Lamb Gyros and Orange-infused Roasted Green Beans and Red Peppers.  I need to spend more time over winter, teaching them to cook more varieties.  I linked the recipes for you too.  The Lamb recipe is from Rachel Ray's magazine, and the roasted veggie recipe is from Eating Well.

In my quest to lose 16 lbs. by July 4th, I am now down 6.6 lbs.  I will need to lose 9.4 lbs. by July 4th.  

I am also watching the pollen count every day now.  I try to keep my outdoor work to no later than 10am, but it's tough. We continue to have constant work here.  However, watching the weather is helpful in helping me to keep my allergies from a full flare up.  


I participated in a blog craft swap, and have shipped my swap partners box last week (I hope she likes all of it).  I am also exchanging postcards in a swap, and have already received 6 postcards.   

Comments

Carolyn said…
That rooster is cute!!
Candy C. said…
That rooster is really cute and I'm sure I've mentioned before how much I LOVE your herb drying rack!
Hopefully, you guys can get that nasty mold under control. Sounds like a good plan with your allergy control too.
Oh, and congrats on the weight loss! :)
Unknown said…
Cute chicken! That's the same pattern my blog pal used, and she gifted me some. I made a chicken christmas tree :) Have you tried wearing a dust mask outside? They're a pain when it's hot, but do keep some of the pollen out. We always strip down, when we get really dusty/dirty- shower, get clothes out of the house (laundry's in the garage), and change. It seems to keep down our sneezing and stuffiness. Hepa filter in the bedroom too, runs 24/7.
Michelle said…
Will you be posting the rooster pattern? I love your drying rack. I just found another project for my hubby.
Thanks Candy - I made the drying rack from old barn wood and curtain hooks.

Nancy, I do run a Hepa filter now in my bedroom (after last season), and I do try to wear a mask outside, but like you said, it's a pain.

Michelle, I bought the pattern on Etsy, so I will post a link for it up in this post.
EMMA said…
Love the crochet rooster! I'v just hung some crochet bunting up for my chickies, maybe they would like a rooster too.
Winnie said…
I love your crocheted roosters!! They are just perfect for your homestead !! You must post a garden photo later when everything is striving and beautiful!!
Beansieleigh said…
LOVE the rooster!!! ~tina

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart