Skip to main content

From the Homesteading Journal . . .


 . . . installed our very first rain barrel (USA made).  We plan to install more, but want to check out more options on styles (and making them ourselves).  This one holds 55 gallons and will be close to the garden for watering it.  I also have a recipe to make this water drinkable, if ever it was needed in an emergency.  I have been doing some research on rain barrel care, and recently read that you should paint your barrel a darker color, in order to keep the sun from affecting the water inside.  This one can be hooked to another barrel, and we do plan to consider making our own.  Our goal is to install 2 (possibly 3-4) more in the next few years.  Here is a link to information if you are considering installing a rain barrel:  The Redeemed Gardener:  Maintaining a Healthy Rain Barrel.



. . . made a batch of homemade goat's milk ricotta cheese.  I used it to bake Lasagna Ruffles and some cookies.

. . . started cleaning out my flower beds. 

. . . Misty (our youngest goat) gave birth to a baby boy. 



 

Comments

Oh I like that rain barrel!
I'd love to have some of these.
Also am looking at making something portable to collect the water when we backwash the pool pump. I hate to see that water wasted, you know?
Am always interested in this!
Congrats on the baby boy goat. :)
Kim said…
have you considered putting gold fish in your rain barrel? They eat the mosquito larve and adult mosquito.
Kim,
Yes, I mentioned it to Hubby, but we need to see if they will sit full that long. With the size of our garden, it may be emptied a lot. Not sure yet.
Liz said…
Great reminder for me on hooking up a rain barrel. Last year we had quite the drought. I want to be prepared this year!
Unknown said…
We have our elevated on concrete block and 2 x 4s. That way it'll gravity feed. Ours are up about 3'...
We are going to place concrete blocks underneath it. We just need to get them.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart