Skip to main content

Frog Legs and Port ~ Homestead Updates ~ Out of Hay


I forgot to mention that I got the chance to taste frog legs.

In case you haven't noticed, I do post a column on the left side of my blog, recording new foods we try each year.

We also got the opportunity to do a wine tasting, and we tried Tawny Port for the first time.  This we loved, but the price on the bottle is a bit over $38.00.  

About the frog legs....

They don't taste like chicken either (at least to me).  They have a fishy taste and the meat is somewhat rubbery.  

Homestead Updates:


My doctor's office agreed to call in a prescription.  Thankfully, I didn't need to drive up and spend about $90.00 just to see her.  Hubby agreed to pick it up for me.  As you can see Dr. Tiggles has not abandoned me.  In fact, when I spiked my fever, it was Nurse Jesse and Dr. Tiggles that were laying right on top of me.  


I have a book that I'll be updating you on soon.  So far, I am enjoying it when I am up to reading.  And an update on Folk Magazine.
 


My youngest daughter crocheted me a bookmark.

The farm animals are most likely miserable being locked in these last few days - loads of rain, with snow off and on.  Not the best weather days here.

My son is still not feeling so well.  However, the worst has passed. 

We are completely out of hay.  I'm not sure the girls are ready to have farm animals, as they make no effort to help get the hay.  The work is completely put on my husband, so this upsets me today.  It will cost is $9.00/bale, since we now have the horse, it is used much faster. 

I have realized why people have succumbed to giving their horse away for free - very expensive to feed.  Especially when the owner of the horse does not have a job.
  

 

Comments

Kim said…
I understand the hay issue. Is there a farmer near by you that perhaps grew wheat/rye/oats that would allow you to go in and glean his field for what is left. Or perhaps a corn field, for corn or fodder? Hope you get to feeling better real soon.
Unknown said…
Sorry to hear that you are still under the weather and that you were not crazy about the frog legs. My husband and I love them. You are right in that they don't taste like chicken, I think most people get the taste like chicken confused with the texture of chicken. Best wishes and hopes that you feel better soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart