Skip to main content

From the Homesteading Journal . . .


...canned two batches of Holiday CranberryJam. I was quite pleased with it.  Thank you Candy at Lazy J Bar C Farm for your post on this.


...mixed up more dry, homemade taco mix.



...mixed up some homemade toothpaste for the first time.  There are so many recipes for this. One said 6 Tbsp. each of coconut oil and baking soda (plus the oils), and another said 3 Tbsp. of each.  Hmm?  I tried the one making the smaller batch using organic tea tree oil and organic peppermint oil.

I was quite pleased how creamy it turned out.  

. . . cooked up 2 lbs. each of dry small red beans, black beans, and pinto beans.  They went into the freezer for future meals.



Comments

EMMA said…
I have been a convert to your homemade deodorant for months now, so I'm sure I'm going to love this tooth paste. Can you use it everyday or is it abrasive?
I left a comment on your keychains but it doesn't seem to have worked?
Great collection!
Thanks Emma, I didn't post it, since you had your e-mail address it the comment. I didn't think you'd want your e-mail address on here.

As for the toothpaste, you can add salt for an abrasive if you'd like, but I don't. I do use it daily, and so far like it. It's just getting over the texture and taste for me.

I have never opened the bible keychain, so I will see if it's completely sealed. If not I will open it and see if it really contains words. I think I found it years ago at my dollar store. I have not seen them again since then.
Unknown said…
Wow, you are being so domestic! I just can't go there...too dark and dreary out. Maybe I will start organizing stuff...that should help.
EMMA said…
Hi again, forgot to ask - how many drop of peppermint/tea-tree do you use? and is it safe for kids? I never quite know what to do with taking essential oils internally when it comes to children, I've heard it's a definite no no for under 12's. But I guess you don't actually swallow toothpaste...
Michelle said…
Is there a recipe for people with sensitive teeth? I would love to be able to make my own toothpaste .
I'm not sure if there is a combination for sensitive teeth. That's a good question.

As for the amount of oils. I split up about 20-25 drops total of the two I used, but you could use other oils too.

This is our first recipe to try, but I like the way my teeth feel after using it.

As for kids using it, I am not sure. I have read other blogs where they do have it for the kids, but their ages are not given. I guess you could e-mail the company in which you buy the oils from, or speak to a holistic expert. The next time I am in town, I will see if I can stop in the store and ask too.
Candy C. said…
You have been busy! I'm glad you liked the jam, we sure have been enjoying it! :)
Unknown said…
I might try that. Is it cheaper too or about the same price?
It's a lot less (cost). Next time I may reduce the coconut oil to 2Tbsp. I have seen recipes where there is no coconut oil, but I wanted to try this one, as the oil is said to be a natural whitener too.
Sam I Am...... said…
I haven't tried homemade toothpaste but it sounds like a good idea!
You also answered a question I've had which was "can you cook beans up ahead of time and freeze them for dishes"? I want to stop buying canned and use the the bagged ones but I always forget to soak them the night before so I thought if I could cook them up and freeze them I'd have them ready. Sounds like from you that I can! I swear you read my mind! LOL! Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart