Skip to main content

More Ideas for Beets


We plant beets every year, and different types.  This year we've roasted them with onion and rosemary, and roasted them with other vegetables.  I have made Green Tomato Cake, so why not one with beets?


I made a Chocolate Beet Cake.  It was delicious!  Even without frosting.  The family gobbled this cake up instantly.



I used one from a cookbook (pictured above), but found this one on-line also: Chocolate Beet Cake and Beet Cream Cheese Frosting.  I have yet to try the on-line recipe.  The frosting looks delicious.



Apple Beet Puree can be frozen for preserving more beets.  The recipe is found in The Big Book of Preserving, by Carol W. Costenbader. 

This morning I thought I'd post early.  The glory of having a free wake-up call - one 80 lb. hairy blob on my bed, followed by a 17 lb. orange striped blob that landed right on my stomach.

I have some watering to do, but need to can more hot pepper jelly.  I had planned to sell some at the Farmer's market this Saturday.  

I am very tired these last few days, and my hands continue to be sore.  I'm trying an organic pine salve, and if that doesn't help I will try a comfrey salve. I just don't have the time or the knowledge to make my own salves yet.

My 15 year-old daughter has asked to attend the state fair with a friend and her family.  This means I am on goat milking duty starting tonight, up until Sunday morning.  This time it is two goats vs. one.  I hope my hands can hold up for it.  


Comments

The cake looks good. I have been canning my beets because I am sick of eating them every night. Oh joys of gardeing, evening comes out at once.

Our fair isn't until October. They have us farmers in mind, we are still bringing in crops this time of year.

Hope you find something to ease the pain. I find knitting or crocheting with wooden needles eases hand pain I get from doing these projects.
Unknown said…
I have some arthritis in my hands and found a lot of relief with Arnica Triflora gel, I get it online from eVitamins.com I used to get it at a local health food store, but they stopped carrying it. It's great to keep on hand for any kind of joint/soft tissue soreness. Icing helps too, if you can sit down long enough!
caprejan said…
The cake looks delicious, I may try it at the weekend. Before bed Try rubbing some butter or oil into your hands with some sugar and herbs and put on some cotton gloves< not very romantic but can often do the trick.
For my cauliflower, we are making pizza crusts with them. I think if you search for it on my blog you can find the link for the recipe we use. It's simply cauliflower, eggs, and mozzarella cheese. I have not frozen any yet this year, but may dehydrate some too, for winter casseroles. It's great in a macaroni and cheese dish we make too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart