Skip to main content

Canning Season Still Chugging Along ~ Oatmeal Wedges

I got 3 1/2 quarts of Seasoned Tomato Sauce canned.


Dug up the last of the carrots and froze two bags of them.  It's not much, but more than I froze last year.  I'll need to plant more next year.  


Canned 7 more pints of beets and 5 half pints of Pear Jam.



I dug up another row of potatoes, but will deal with those another day.  

I blanched and froze another bag of broccoli.



This Oatmeal Wedge recipe came from that wonderful book I received.  These are a bit chewy, but easy and delicious.  I haven't baked anything with molasses lately, and the recipe caught my eye.

Oatmeal Wedges
Serves 8

4 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. molasses
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Line an 8 inch shallow cake tin with waxed paper and grease the paper (I used parchment paper and it worked great).

Place the butter, molasses, and brown sugar in a saucepan over low heat.  Stir and cook until melted and combined.

Remove from the heat and add the oats.  Stir to blend.

Spoon into the prepared can tin and smooth the surface.  Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.  Leave in the tin until cool enough to handle, then unmold and cut into 8 equal wedges while still hot. 




We are trying another natural remedy to ward off fleas.  This is a recipe we found on-line, and simply takes lemons and fresh rosemary sprigs.  You can spray it on carpet and furniture as well.  It smells great too.

I am pooped.  I need to go take the laundry down and re-make my bed, vacuum my room and pamper myself with cold, lavender filled eye pack. 

I did not get any writing in today.  Phooey.

Comments

Candy C. said…
That is a pretty simple, straightforward recipe. I like molasses and oats so I'm going to have to give it a try.
Jeez, looking at all you do I just can't imagine why you are pooped!! ;-)
Unknown said…
Boy you worked up a ton today! Hope you get a good nights rest because I'm sure you will be back at it again tomorrow. The recipe looks delish but I'm trying to lose weight do I'm going to steer clear this time. Blessings
Michelle said…
I know how you feel. We have a schedule on what gets canned on what day. Tomorrow is carrots. Today was corn. In a couple of days we will have more beans to can. I love having fresh veggie thru the winter. But,I am so glad when everything is finally canned.
Unknown said…
Are the wedges like a molasses cookie flavor? Looks great, and I love oats and molasses! Maybe throw in some chocolate chips...
The oatmeal wedges have a wonderful flavor.
I am impressed with all that you know how to do! Oh how I would love a canning day with you! Thanks for the recipe too! xox

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart