Skip to main content

From the Homesteading Journal

Stocked up 2 bags of kohlrabi in the freezer.

Picked enough green beans for several meals, and put notes in the journal to double the amount we plant for stocking up.

Calling around for a barrel to install as a rain barrel. No luck yet.


Still searching for a buyer for the buckling.

We need to add more layers next spring - not enough eggs this year.

Possibly adding another female goat next spring or a trade for the buckling.  We could use more milk so we don't have to buy it.

I'm collecting recipes that utilize what we can grow or make ourselves, or buy local (like raw honey).  I found this wonderful recipe that we could eventually use our own plums for.

Honey-Plum Muffins
1 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 lb. plums, diced
1 1/4 c. lowfat buttermilk
1 egg 
4 Tbsp. dark honey (I used whatever raw honey I had)
2 Tbsp. canola oil

Preheat oven to 375°F.  Line muffin pan with 12 paper liners.

Combine flours, sugar, coriander, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Reserve 1/3 c. diced plums.

In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg,  3 Tbsp. of the honey and oil.  Stir in remaining plums.  

Mix dry and wet ingredients until moistened.

Fill muffin cups, and top with reserved plums.

Bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. 

Allow to cool 5 minutes before placing on rack to cool.  Brush tops with remaining 1 Tbsp. honey.




Made 2 quarts of fridge pickles.  I love making these  -  water bath not required.  Delicious!


Refrigerator Pickles
1 pound medium organic cucumbers
3 cloves organic garlic
1/2 tsp. organic black peppercorns
1/2 tsp. whole mustard seeds
1 tsp. fresh organic dill weed
1 whole dried bay leaf
2/3 cup organic light brown sugar
6 1/2 Tbsp. white distilled vinegar
6 1/2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
3/4 cup water

Slice cucumbers and place in clean 2 qt. jars.  Add the first 6 ingredients to the jars.  Mix the vinegars, brown sugar and water until it is dissolved.  Add the liquid to your jars. Shake the jars well.

Wait 24 hours to eat.  Will last 3 months in your refrigerator. Tip:  Save the liquid and re-use for another batch.



Comments

Unknown said…
Are these a sweet pickle? Looks good, I may try some!
Or use the liquid for sweet and sour sauce! Looks good. I have been re-amping what we need around here lately too.
The pickles kind of have a tangy flavor.
Candy C. said…
The plum muffins sound great, I love baking with fresh fruit! I would have expected cardamom though instead of coriander! LOL!!
Michelle said…
I have to try the plum muffins. I have a plum tree in my back yard. I usually make jam. Now I have something new to make. Thanks.
Sam I Am...... said…
Thanks for the pickle recipe as that is just right for me since I live alone. I used to make sweets and dills and can them years ago.
I wish I had a plum tree and a whole orchard of fruit trees! You are to be commended for all you do!
Zoe said…
I just made these pickles and I am in love! I am a total pickle lover and these were wonderful :) Thanks for sharing!
Zoe,
Glad you like the pickles. They are one of our favorite recipes that we have found.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart