Skip to main content

Abandon Chores ~ Play Like a Kid


After dinner last night, I got out the watercolor paints and started painting some journal pages. 

This was so much fun.  The kids got a kick out of seeing Mom sitting at the table painting.  In fact, they were in so much awe, that my 15 year-old daughter got the video camera out.  She wanted to make sure it was caught on tape for the record.  Ha ha ha ha!


Some days, you just need to let the dirty dishes sit, and dig into your creativity.

Here's a look at yesterday's "garden" dinner - a meal my Mom used to make.  Potatoes, green beans and bacon, all mixed together. 

The potatoes were so creamy and delicious.  I finally figured out why I hated vegetables as a kid - stuff from the store is so tainted that it doesn't taste good.

Comments

Unknown said…
Happy 4th and enjoy your time!
Sam I Am...... said…
Your journal pages are gorgeous....you are really good!
I've never tried water colors but it does look like fun and very relaxing! You could do cards or notes and sell them at your stand.
Have a great 4th of July!
Candy C. said…
Happy Independence Day to you and yours! :)
Your dinner looks delicious, one of my favorites!
Jodie said…
That broccoli looks delicious as does the potatoes...

Jodie :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart