Skip to main content

Zucchini Pumpkin Bread & Pumpkin Apple Butter


I love a bread recipe that makes 2 loaves.  With our family size, it's the best way for me to make the most of a recipe.  I love this recipe, as it contains two items from my garden, is another use for our eggs, and uses butter.


Our long term goal is to have a jersey cow and make our own butter.



Zucchini Pumpkin Bread

1 cup butter (or stick margarine)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten (or 3/4 cup egg substitute)
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup canned pumpkin (I used pie pumpkin puree)
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves (ground)
1 cup chopped nuts

Cream together butter and sugar.  Add eggs, vanilla, zucchini, and pumpkin, and mix well.  Combine other ingredients and then add to creamed mixture.  Blend well and pour into 2 greased 8 x 4 inch loaf pans.  Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 2 loaves
(Source:  The Zucchini Houdini, by Brenda Stanley)


Pumpkin-Apple Butter

2 cans (15 oz) canned pumpkin
2 cups peeled, cored, and shredded granny smith apples
2 cups, no sugar organic apple juice
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine in a slow cooker (4 qt) and cook on high for 5 hours, stirring every 2 hours.  Store in a covered jar for up to 2 months.  

(Source:  unknown)

Comments

Candy C. said…
Both of those recipes sound great! I like the double-dose of "veggies" in the Zucchini Pumpkin Bread, almost makes it guilt free! LOL!!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart