Skip to main content

Building a Bridge ~ Using All Recycled Wood

Finally.  I got hubby to help me with building the bridge we needed.  On our property, we have a crick (what the kids call it) that runs off the creek.  It runs thru a corner of the property.  On the other side, are fruit trees that were planted by past owners.  Today, we picked one pear from one of the trees.

We built our bridge with measurements of 12 feet by 4 feet.  In the future we may add sides and flower boxes too.  

For now, it's a basic bridge.  We built it out of free wood that my husband got from a co-worker.  The co-worker, a few years ago, tore down his house deck.  My husband gladly took the wood and we have not put it to use.



I'm working on clearing out the weeds around the bridge, and freeing up the water-way below it.

I'm also looking at a couple of possible locations to build my wall tent or place to rest and relax (with a mosquito net). 


It was nice to have leftover angel food cake after this long day.  Yum!  It's so moist and delicious, and made with our farm fresh eggs. 


I was multi-tasking today also.  I guess it's been pretty normal for that around here lately.  While we were out building the bridge, I had pear butter cooking in the crock pot.  Yum.

I guess the homemade noodles will have to be made tomorrow.  I ran out of time today.



Comments

Unknown said…
Ah, pear butter! I'm going to make some nectarine butter soon, when they ripen...
Candy C. said…
Nice bridge, way to go you guys!!
Your angel food cake looks perfect!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart