Skip to main content

Garlic, Lemon Balm, and a Toad

What a combination to write about too.  First, I decided to add more fresh garlic in my diet and found this delicious salad.  I had a few of the kids try it, as the rest of them had no interest in trying it.

Southwestern Quinoa and Chickpea Salad
(From The Doctors Book of Food Remedies, By Selene Yeager and the Editors of Prevention Health Books)
1 cup quinoa
1 3/4 cups water
4 tsp. olive oil
1 cup rinsed and drained canned chickpeas
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 tsp. salt
Place the quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse well with cold water.  Drain and transfer to a medium saucepan.

Add the water and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender but still slightly crunchy.  If all the water has not been absorbed, drain it through a fine sieve.
Place the quinoa in a medium bowl.  Drizzle with the oil and toss to mix.  Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, garlic, and salt.  Toss thoroughly to mix.

Makes 4 servings.  Tip:  Try baking dry chickpeas ahead of time.
I planted cumin for the first time ever this year.  I see only a few came up, but we had a very strange start to our summer.  The abundance of rain, followed by no rain, caused some odd growing in the plants.

I cut some lemon balm yesterday.  I will dry it to add to a tea for my sore throat.  I am also considering finely chopping some fresh lemon balm, and adding it to our Lemon Wild Black Raspberry Muffins.  

Oh....and for the "toad" part of today's post . . .

Check this out.  A toad has made his home in my redbud tree pot.  We removed him, and later in the day, he was right back in the pot.

Look just above the word "Pioneer" on the photo.  You can see his head barely sticking out of the dirt.  You may have to click on the photo to enlarge it to really see it. 

Comments

Candy C. said…
The title of your post cracked me up! The salad sounds good, gonna have to give it a try!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart