Skip to main content

Embroidery ~ Relaxing and Fun

I am reading the diaries from pioneer women who crossed the U.S. in the 1800's and it's been interesting and amazing.  Many women took extra needles and thread with them and traded with Indians for food.  Embroidery work, on hankies and other items were also given as gifts.  In my quest to embroider, learn more, and improve my skills, I have completed several projects.  Here are photos of my progress so far:

Here is my first embroidery sampler (posted before)



Here is a pattern I embroidered on a bread cloth, and the other was a store purchased pattern that I placed into a thrift store frame.  The bread cloth will be duplicated this summer for gift giving.


Here is a set of cloth, kitchen napkins.


This is my most recent project.  It is a pattern I traced onto a hankie, and sewed scrap beads to each corner.   I found this project, and printable pattern on-line.  Visit Martha Stewart's Web site, for the instructions and the patterns.  These are drink covers, and are fun gifts to make.  You could even embroider initials for an wedding party that is having an outdoor reception.  These are nice to have during summer, to cover a pitcher of iced tea or lemonade also.

I have started embroidering pillow cases for the kids hope chests, and have aprons to finish.  Towels are on the list as well.


I need to spend as much time writing as I do with my embroidery - ha ha ha! 

Comments

Unknown said…
I love your sampler! Did you design that yourself?
No, this is not my pattern. If you click on the highlighted "Martha Stewart's Web site" you will be taken to her site, with the free printable pattern. Down the road, I may design my own. I started making these way before I found MJF.
Unknown said…
Thanks. Yes, I was doing a lot of this stuff before MJF was invented too :) "I don't need no stinkin badges", ha....
Unknown said…
Thanks. Yes, I was doing a lot of this stuff before MJF was invented too :) "I don't need no stinkin badges", ha....
Unknown said…
Sorry to ask again- I clicked on the link and couldn't find the sampler. Do you remember what it was called? I searched the index, and browsed thru various embroidery and template sections. Thanks for the help...
EMMA said…
Hi, your embroidery is beautiful.
Can you give me the name of the book you were (back in january) reading please.
Hi Emma, the books are a series that I got at the library. The first one is: Covered Wagon Women, Volume 1: Diaries and Letters from the Western Trails, 1840-1849 by Kenneth L. Holmes and Anne M. Butler. If you look that up at amazon you can see all of the titles in the series.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart