Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Dry Days ~ Heat Wave to Return

The rain, that was in the forecast kept getting pushed back and back, until we got about a 5 minute sprinkle.  Unfortunately, that meant a full blown morning of watering everything here.  I had to drag 200 feet of hose from the garden to the flower beds and herb garden, which wasn't fun, nor easy.

The grass went from can't-keep-up-with-mowing, to it dead and crunching under our feet.  Watering everything meant no weeding time either.


I had another driveway "creeper."  I literally went out to get my sheets off the line, and had locked my front screen door.  When I returned to the porch, low and behold another note left on the door for barn wood.  Man, I will be glad when we have it all cleaned up.  Another reason I want a dog.  I didn't hear them pull in.  I was prepared, but didn't hear them.

On a positive note, what makes me smile?  All those tomato stakes when I look out the window, and all that wood in the barn.  We just hope we can now save the green beans, carrots, turnips, beets, sweet potatoes and potatoes.  Oye it's a jungle of weeds out there.  Some tomato plants died, and some are too small to possibly make it through to produce anything too.  It's been a huge battle this year for us.  Frustrating, exhausting, down right depressing.

Guess what?  Another heat wave is returning this weekend.  We'll be watering once again before it hits.  Hopefully we can keep what we have, without anything burning up to a crisp.

Our 19 year old and her sister's boyfriend stopped in to pick up more belongings.  Of course they were fed dinner, and slobbered over the two loaves of zucchini bread, and took some home with them.  More stuff is going out the door, but much more remains.  We'll have to load of the truck and deliver it one of these days.  She made fun of my tall weeds in the flower beds.  I told her she's more than welcome to come weed in the early mornings with me, or kindly keep her comments to herself.  Of course she remained quiet after that.  She doesn't miss the hard work around here.

Well, it's almost the weekend. We have very little planned, and what is planned will be early morning work.  More folks want to take a motorcycle ride Saturday (an hour ride), and I reminded Hubby that it will be too hot. 

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Oh, Kristina, I feel so badly regarding the struggle you've had with your garden this year. The wonky weather would be nothing but an inconvenience for some others, but for someone trying so hard to grow their own food it's more than depressing. At least you won't have so many mouths to feed this winter. Except for those drop-ins like you recently had, of course!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, those little stinkers too 6 pieces of zucchini bread with them. Yeah, it's a bad year, but zucchini is feeding us right now, so that's a good thing. I just gotta un-bury the rest of the garden now.

Vicki said...

Here in east central Minnesota the weather mirrors yours. Rain goes north of us and south of us, but mostly skips Minneapolis and the surrounding area. Doesn't bother me so much, but I surely do feel bad for those like you who are fighting the weather for control of your garden. I would do a rain dance out in the middle of the street but fear I might be arrested. :)

Nancy In Boise said...

we're hitting the 100s here to day after day and it is so hot! We're trying to keep on top of the watering but the weeding is also pretty bad. Hang in there and do what you can!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Vicki, you made me laugh. I too have been wondering if a rain dance would help.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Nancy. It's been a pretty bad summer.

mamasmercantile said...

I am doing a rain dance and thinking of you but sadly the rain has just started here. That didn't go well then...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, yes, please send rain our way.