Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Random Tidbits


It's been nice to be back in the kitchen baking breads.  First on the agenda - biscuits.  I'm playing around with different size cutters, to obtain just the right size for a breakfast sandwich.  Oh we slobbered over our recent sandwich with farm fresh eggs, cheese, and organic bacon.  Yum.


I use my 2 inch cutter when the biscuits are for sausage gravy or hamburger gravy.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Hubby came home one day this week, went straight to the fridge, and asked, "hey where is that pickled garlic?"

He popped one right into his mouth and said, "every one at work is sick."

I've eaten the garlic from the jar too.  No stomach issues, but your mouth will be warm for hours, ha ha!



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



Pop Test #1.  All but 3 kernels popped.  It'll dry a bit longer on the cobs, but oh boy did it taste good.  I would like to double what we plant this gardening season.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want a good night's sleep, get a diffuser.  You place a specific amount of water with a combination of essential oils in it.  Oh my.  When I turn ours on (which I got free), I can barely get out of bed.  So if you want to sleep in, this is the way to do it.   Or to keep from waking up all night.  Golly, our best combination is Thieves, Rosemary and Eucalyptus oil. Note:  if you have cats, do not do this. An herbalist told me this, and when I did difuse on the woodstove top (prior to this knowledge), the hair on one of our cats fell out.  It can make them sick or die.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Hubby has been lucky to get a few nights of overtime, which we need, but we are still down to 2 vehicles.  We have the part for daughter's car (which she bought herself, as she is learning responsibliity for her independence), but we need a warm day to install it.  I may be repeating myself here, so if I am just ignore.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Hubby got more overtime last night and this morning.  Firewood hauling is my job.  Thank goodness for the sled.  It's cold here again.  Brr!






10 comments:

Liz said...

Somewhere I came across a sugar cookie cutter that is just the right size for bigger biscuits.
The deer (once again) got into our popcorn field! I sure would like to see how those sneaks do it!
Cold here again today. 0 F. when the hubby left for work.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Liz, I think a wild turkey got into my popcorn last year. I will have to fence it this year I think. Darn critters.

M.E. Masterson said...

Biscuits and vravy sounds great!! When is next meal??

Mama Pea said...

I've never tried to grow popcorn, but then I have very little luck growing regular corn either so . . . :o(

Your biscuits look so good. You may have given me just the kick in the pants I need to get back into bread baking! However, there is a young fella near us who has started baking sourdough breads in an outdoor oven he has access to. And, oh my, are the breads good. Sourdough is so good for us, but I've not gotten the urge to make a starter and keep it going. Yet. But we are buying his breads.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, our popcorn harvest was not as good as I wanted it to be, but we still got some. Sourdough is the next bread for me to venture in to making. I have just put it off, making the starter.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

M.E. Materson, I have me meat eating daughter living at home, and she devours it at breakfast and dinner, ha ha! (biscuits and any sort of meat gravy - sausage or ground beef).

mamasmercantile said...

Biscuits and gravy would go down a treat right now, yum!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, we love biscuits and gravy. Yum.

Sam I Am...... said...

The popcorn sounds wonderful! I hope your husband doesn't get sick as they say this flu is bad and that's even if you got a flu shot! I need to make biscuits and freeze like Pillsbury does so I can just take as many out as I need for myself. Have you tried that? Do you freeze yours as dough or bake them first? Biscuits and gravy sound really good about now! Lucky you with a snowstorm coming!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I have not frozen my biscuit dough, but I do want to carve out time to freeze pizza dough.