Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Sorghum Molasses Candy ~ Tidbits


Sorghum molasses candy is one of our family favorite Christmas candies to make.  Once I started making it, I stopped making toffee for several years.  Although much of my family loves them both.  I just may make some toffee yet.  The sorghum cooks into a honeycomb type candy, is broken up, and then coated in dark chocolate.



One more yummy, naughty candy made for the upcoming Christmas and New Year's.  Woot woot!  I haven't made this in two years I think.  I forgot how easy it is to make.  It makes a large amount (in my opinion).  

The recipe for this is now online.  It's from "The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook" and if you google "Sorghum Molasses Chips" and look for the book title and click on it, the pages are available to view.  It requires a candy thermometer and Sorghum Molasses of course.  I am lucky to have a local orchard who sells locally made sorghum.

Oye. The Sweet 16 birthday party is over.  Boy can they eat pizza!  All the screamin' mimi's are all gone, and the house is once again getting cleaned up, hence the late posting today. 

Hubby was called in to work, so crochet work has resumed.  You won't believe it, but I got another scarf order.  I have come up with something else to make and add to our inventory also.  It will have to wait until the next two orders are filled.  I also handed out a business card the other day.  The deli clerk at a store may order too. Oh!  Our "Grad" Daughter's work may hold a "craft" show in their store before Christmas, and if they do, they are not charging table rent.  It's just to get more customers, so it'll be a win-win situation if they do.

Have a blessed Sunday!

2 comments:

Vicki said...

The sorghum molasses candy sounds wonderful. When I was a kid, Dad always cooked up a batch of molasses taffy this time of year. It was delicious, but sometimes I think he made it to keep us kids busy pulling the taffy as a way to keep us out of his hair and out of trouble for a while. :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Vicki, I have always wanted to make pulled taffy. That is funny that he thought of that to keep you out of his way when you where kids.