Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, June 23, 2017

Random Tidbits ~ A Crockpot Summer


The rabbits are definitely an issue this year.  This is the worst year ever.  One had babies in my chicken run.  Big mistake.  The chickens killed them all.





Bread needed baked.  New recipe too.  The recipe is here. I turned to the internet for this recipe, and was quit pleased. In fact, Youngest Daughter saw the bread, made a sandwich, and raved about how soft and delicious it was.  Used 1 Tbsp. brown sugar vs. white sugar.  The recipe called for 2 cups of milk and room temperature. I had exactly 1 1/2 cups left in the house.  I made a 1/2 cup using dried milk to make up the difference.



Library books need returned and new ones picked up.  Ha.  Yeah, like I'm a gonna' get time to read 'em. I however am enticed by the Home and Health one - 501 recipes. I may have to add a few to my Christmas "wish" list.

I should have the kids monitor me when I multi-task.  I almost burned a frittata.  I set the timer, walked outside...should have never left the kitchen.  The other day I almost forgot the rice in the crockpot cabbage roll casserole.  Speaking of that dish, it was sort of a budget creation.

After my big birthday shin-dig, our daughter's grad party, and another daughter's expensive car repair, the budget has been pretty tight.  


I was pretty nifty thrifty with the cabbage roll dish.  I had two halves of cabbages leftover (red and green), I had a quart of home canned tomato sauce, home canned crushed tomatoes, homemade tomato condensed tomato soup in the freezer...and wa-la..dinner was made on a dime.  I used leftover ham vs. beef/pork.  Turned out Fan-tab-u-lous!  We discovered Parmesan cheese was better than mozzarella cheese.  And it's delicious without cheese.  This was the first time trying this type of recipe.  I may have to make cabbage rolls this fall when cabbage is in full harvest.  I do love my crockpot though.

Complaints were spouting from my vegetarian daughter (it had meat in it).  I told her I don't make special requests when I have to cook with what I have, and I reminded her I boiled eggs.  She's a big girl and needs to learn to cook.



The peas are flourishing and I must pick daily now.  


I made another batch of garlic scape and radish spread.  We absolutely love this stuff, and our vegetarian daughter (the one turning 18 today, and who hates most vegetables), loves it now too.  Hubby wants me to make a double batch so he can share it at work, but I'm running low on garlic scapes.  I may have a few more out in the garden.  As always, when Hubby loves a dish, says "you should serve this in our own restaurant."  Ha.  Yeah.  Like I want more work. 

8 comments:

WendyFromNY said...

What about that recipe for the sooo delicious looking bread...? Wanna share? Please?

Mama Pea said...

Oh, homemade bread! Will someone please come fill my counters with loaves of it?? I still have some loaves stashed in the freezer (that are disappearing fast) but I yearn (at any time of the year) for fresh baked bread!

Our meals this time of year are pretty simple and I think inexpensive because we eat so much right out of the garden. They are filling but not "heavy" and both Papa Pea and I are noticing our clothes are fitting a little bit looser. Not a bad thing!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Wendy, I will link that recipe in this post.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, the kids are devouring the bread. I haven't had time, but we needed it and I was running around like a crazy woman to get it made. We too are eating from the garden.

WendyFromNY said...

Oh, thank you so much, Kristina! I can't wait to make it!

RB said...

The bread looks luscious, and hey - you have a vegetarian daughter who doesn't like vegetables. LOL But yeah, I remember two choices for meals when we were kids - "Take it or leave it!" And there was always peanut butter for a sandwich, and peanut butter IS vegan.
Poor baby bunnies. I'd've been out there gathering them up, making a house for them and feeding them. I sometimes think there must be tiny signs around the boundary of our property that says, "Come on in. She feeds anything." ROFLOL
Raining here again. The cats are so sick of it, one decided he'd stay outside regardless, and he's welcome to it.
Prayers everyone's having a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Wendy you are welcome. I do rub the tops of my bread with butter, right after they come out of the oven. It helps soften the crust.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, thank you! Have a safe weekend too.