Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Wacky Weather

I woke up to checking the weather yesterday, and saw rain was 60% at 10am and 90% at 1pm.  So, I adjusted my day.  I started by making 3 "cans" of homemade condensed mushroom soup.  Smelled so good too.  I love the smell of shallots cooking in butter.  Mmm.  The "cans" went into the freezer.  By the way, this soup on top of turkey breast, in the crock pot, tastes amazing.

At 11am the rain had not arrived.

At noon, no rain.  At 1:30pm?  No rain.  I chopped up a head of cauliflower to prep for dinner early.  Put that in the fridge and checked the weather again. 


No rain at 2pm. Our 17 year-old arrived home in my borrowed car.  She had just completed the very last day of her high school and was smiling ear to ear.


I then baked a small batch of homemade biscuits to go with dinner.  Again no rain.   I sent a photo to Hubby.  He was the next one to smile ear to ear.  He said knowing what was for dinner made him get through the day better.

My sweet potato slips were in, so I went to pick those up.  Low and behold the sky was dark.   We eventually got a bit of rain, and I was sort of thankful it wasn't a full blown downpour (considering the delicate state of the newly planted tomato plants).

However, the rain wasn't the only thing worrying me.  I've seen a rabbit here and there lately.  And this morning I saw a rabbit in my garden, and it was near the pepper plants we planted.  Guess I'm about to have rabbit for dinner sooner than later.

I didn't get photos of last night's dinner,  they gobbled it up that fast.  The Italian roasted cauliflower was a delicious side to our hamburger gravy over fried potatoes.  Hubby needed a  comfort meal and I was willing. I used my home canned tomato paste, homemade garlic powder, and garden grown oregano for the cauliflower.  Yum.  I'll be making the cauliflower again, so I will post a photo and the recipe.  My old link to it doesn't work on my older blog post.

It looks wet out, but no rain.  Hm.  I wonder what I shall do with myself?  I'm still a bit stiff in my joints, and already have bacon cooked up for this morning's breakfast.  I am very thankful that my soon-to-be-graduate is home to care for the dogs and help me out now.  She told me, "Mom you need to be sitting on the porch reading a book."  I think that would be a grand idea, but chores are a' callin'.

5 comments:

Rain said...

I like the idea of sitting on the porch with a book too! :) Our weather is wacky at best, I'm trying to roll with it. That soup looks so delicious! I love cream of mushroom soup! And I agree, shallots cooking in butter is one of the most yummy smells I can think of...add some potatoes and I'm in heaven! :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I never got a chance to read on the porch. The rain never arrived, and I went back out to the garden.

Sam I Am...... said...

With all the dang satellites and high tech weather software you would think they could do a better job but no! They're terrible about predictions....I think I'll go back to the Farmer's Almanac or just ignore it altogether and do my own thing regardless. They yell 'wolf' too many times and then they wonder why people ignore them! Can you tell I am fed up with the weather reporters? LOL! If they would just tell me the barometric pressure I could tell if it was going to rain or not....I need a barometer here where I am which is 3 hours north of Little Rock where they predict the weather....uh huh....3 hours away....no wonder it doesn't jive with our REAL weather here. Good luck where you are!

RB said...

As a young wife decades ago, I once put round steak covered in mushroom soup in a 9x13 glass pan covered with foil in the oven, went shopping and forgot I'd put it in there. When I got home hours later, a wonderful aroma filled the house, but I was afraid to lift the foil to see what I'd created. Surprisingly, it was the most tasty tender round steak I ever made, and the gravy over smashed tatties was luscious.
Try it sometime, but don't forget about it for hours like I did. LOL
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Ohhh! RB, that sounds delicious!