Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Random Tidbits

The rain is coming to and end.   Maybe.  Boy is it wet out, but the garden is loving it.  The peas look great, the greens are looking nice, and the potatoes are getting more tops.  I brought in a bit more asparagus too.



My organic arnica seeds arrived, so I got a few seeds planted in some organic soil.

Baked the family sorghum gingerbread.  Nom, nom, nom.  


I also made my first lilac simple syrup....




...and made my first Lilac Lemonade.  Yum.  Next time, I need to really pack the flowers in the measuring cup (for more flavor).  I just used a recipe my friend shared, but there are some online as well.



I'm back to my element - the speed bag.  I have moved enough stuff in the garage to get to a good workout with it, and it just makes me happy (and a good way to start my day).  I am thankful that my husband taught me, and loves it too.  Pretty soon the heavy bag will have enough space too.

Yesterday was not my typical "cleaning" day.  As you noticed, I did not join the "Happy Homemaker Monday."  I used my rainy day list and attacked the "office" and computer space with gusto.  Filing was done, desk cleaned up, library books returned (I am hoping Hubby doesn't forget to do it on his way to work, I still do not have my car back), and I even took care of some recipes that needed transferred to a recipe card and into my file.  I even got a few more walnuts cracked.  

Today, is sort of feels like fall returned.  It's cold, dreary, windy and wet.  A good day to get back to the rainy day list.  Or spend some time with handiwork.  

8 comments:

Rain said...

I was just thinking that too, it feels like fall lately. Thanks for the tip about packing in the flowers for flavour. I can't wait to try to make my simple syrup, thanks again Kristina for mentioning it yesterday! Arnica seeds...so you'll have to post about how you make an oil or a gel...are you growing them for their medicinal properties only? My cream is supposed to arrive today, I can't wait to get it on my hands...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I plan on making the oil for sure, as infused oils are needed in most body creams/lotions etc. It all depends on how well it grows the first year. For Calendula, it took me a few years to get a good supply growing.

RB said...

The rain may be over for you, but it's just beginning for us. About the time we got all the cats out in their kennels, it started to sprinkle and we had to bring them back in again. At least they got a little sunshine and fresh air while they were out, cause they're going to be fit to be tied soon, because we have 3-4 days of rain in a row predicted this weekend. Such is life.
Prayers everyone has a great Mother's Day weekend planned, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rb, the jokes on me. Rain is back and in full force - flooding.

RB said...

Sending prayers your way, for everyone affected.
Mother Nature is sure playing jokes on us all this spring.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you RB.

Sam I Am...... said...

Great weather for your plants and seeds in the ground. IT finally stopped raining here and it sunny and windy...great day for hanging clothes on the line! I need to clear my desk....hardly room to move my mouse around! LOL! I so wish I had a lilac bush/tree....I got one last year but it didn't make it....I'll try again!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, the sun is out today (Saturday) and I too have laundry out on the line. I hope the sun and wind dries up stuff.