Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Einkorn Flour Tortillas

In the past, I have made homemade tortillas using white organic flour.  

First, I made flour tortillas with organic/non-gmo canola oil.  You can read about it here.

Downside of making them with the canola?  You use a lot more oil than in the einkorn tortillas I'm about to tell you about, and the smell of the oil stinks up the kitchen.

Second, I made them with real lard.  You can read that post here.  

A huge bonus in making these?  You make them on a griddle, and they use no oil on the griddle itself.  Just the lard in the tortilla.  Very easy to make and less mess (and no smell).






Third, I made a batch of tortillas using the all-purpose einkorn wheat flour and organic non-gmo olive oil (I guess you can use coconut oil too).  The recipe is in the book shown above.




The dough was super easy to handle.  I first used my pastry cloth to roll the dough into 12 balls.  Then, I rolled each ball out on parchment paper, which made it much easier to remove and place into the pan.  




The bonus here is the nutrition of the flour, the fact you make them in your cast iron pan, and you don't have to add any more oil than in the beginning (I just wiped a good coating of olive oil before heating the pan).  The only downside, is making them one at a time if you only have one cast iron skillet.  I have two cast iron pans, but didn't want to dirty another pan.  These bake up rather quickly in the pan anyway.  I have to say, this is my favorite (next to using lard) way to make tortillas. 



5 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I was curious to see if the tortillas made with all einkorn weren't too "fragile" to handle as you fried/baked them . . . and it looks like they were just fine! The one problem I have in making my pie crusts with einkorn flour is that it's a smidge on the difficult side to handle when getting it from pastry cloth to pie plate. Mine tends to and tear because of the texture of the crust which is very tender.

Rain said...

Those look really good, I've always wanted to make my own tortillas, we eat Mexican themed dinners a lot. And I LOVE that they don't stink up the house! That canola oil, eek...I only use olive oil these days when I cook because when we used to use other oils, we could even smell it in our hair sometimes! I'll have to keep an eye out for a cast iron skillet during the garage sale season. I don't have one and I think it would be a great addition to my kitchen.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, you are right. If I rolled them out on the pastry cloth, I would have had trouble. With using parchment paper, I could pick up the paper, dough stuck to it, slowly peel it off and gently place it into the pan. They were very good too. I plan on ordering more flour, and trying to freeze some.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Little Homestead.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I love my cast iron skillets. I use the smaller one to bake frittatas and millet skillets and other dishes in. I start on the stove, and then into the oven it goes.