Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Random Tidbits

One of our kids actually made a sandwich using my homemade sweet potato butter and peanut butter.  She said it was pretty good.  I love it on toast at breakfast, but have yet to try it on a pancake or waffle.  This is not canned with a water bath method.  It is stored in the freezer, so I am making sure we continue to use it, as well as our pumpkin butter.


I'll admit, it was fun to do the "Happy Homemaker" post yesterday, but I felt like the photo taking took a lot of my time.  Of course, most people don't bring home so many self-sufficiency books either, ha ha!

I'm still sorting, tossing, wiping stuff down.  I have been able to keep one kitchen table clean so far.  The counters are another story.  

And in between it all, I need to make lip balm, jelly, more jelly, dry taco mix, and laundry soap.  

Oh where does the time go?

I opened our home canned crushed tomatoes yesterday.  The first time to open a jar this winter.  They smelled so good when I opened them too.  I made a chicken crock pot dish.  Yum!  I will definitely continue to can these, as long as we have a good season.

I made a bribe with my family.  A blueberry pie for moving bookshelves and whatnot, into the garage, so we can shampoo the carpet.  They moved the items, but the shampooing has not started, nor the pie baking, ha ha!  I'll get it done.  Just not today.  It's raining again.  Like we need more rain?  I swear, I saw the weather report of snow today, and several inches.
 

2 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

i made pumpkin butter a few years ago and I still prefer apple butter. I wouldn't mind trying sweet potato though and thank you for reminding me there are many things to make in the winter time. I've been wanting to make orange marmalade and candied orange peel which I love!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, winter is great time to try new canning recipes with fruit. For the first time, I froze my peaches for this winter. I have yet to can them.