Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year! ~ Random-ness and feeling chatty.....

I'm at that point in my life, when we stay home for the New Year celebration - with pets, kids and the coziness of pajamas.  The last thing I ate?  Apple slices and fruit dip.  Yum!

I myself, fell asleep at 8:30pm.  Normally that is not the case, but I'm still recovering, so I that's okay.  Hubby however, was still up, sort of scolding the TV.  The Buckeyes played, and well, they played terrible.  It was as if they never played football before. 

I woke up later to realize that the team never even scored one point.  I'm pretty sure he'll be in a sour mood this morning, but hopefully, we'll have a grand day today.

I was up early.  I got the wood stove going, coffee brewing, and accidentally woke up the dogs.  The cats were meowing for their very early breakfast, and I took care of that too.  Everyone is still in bed, but one kiddo has to get up to go to work today.


Today, I choose to be relaxed, and comfortable. I choose to ignore the first hospital bill that came yesterday.  Today, I choose to ignore the backed up dishwasher (no way am I telling Hubby after a bad football game, ha ha ha!).  

Instead, I'll sip my hot organic coffee, and eat a cookie that my 17 year-old baked yesterday (yum!!!).  I'll read a book, crochet, walk to the barn (for the first time since I've been home), help fetch firewoord (first time again), maybe take a long hot bath to nurse my sore back (from that long hospital bed stay), and maybe get out of the house for an hour or so.

I am pretty sure my 17 year-old (nail tech in training) is giving me a new manicure today too!!!  She might as well spoil me, and get some experience, while I am not back to working so hard (yet).

Oh my gosh!  I am so in the mood to write again!!!  I totally missed out on November's NaNoWriMo, but plan to make up for that.  The magazine I wrote for went out of business, but I plan on finding a new one.  Too bad the local newspaper isn't interested in a column for homesteading.  I'd nail that one.  I think I would.

I need to find a way to help this family financially.  My husband deserves a break from so much overtime.  I know my 17 year-old wants a job badly, and has already offered to help pay for dog food if she does (can you tell who is the "Mom" now to the overgrown pups? ha ha!).  We lack a car for her, and an extra cell phone, so I hope to land something that won't take me away from my responsibilities.  In the meantime, I'll keep praying and staying positive.  Where there is a will, there is a way (right?).

Oh my gosh, I have to share this too.  While out for the count, and sick, I had a library book out.  For like a month.  It had a pretty hefty late fee.  I just went online to order 4 books, and was afraid they cut me off, until I paid it.  Guess what?  The fee has disappeared!  Literally.  I have to make a visit there and thank them (unless it was a mistake).  

Well, I better cut this post off before you all get really bored.  I hope to have something a bit more interesting going on.  I have a homemade "concoction" brewing in my closet (that should have been bottled before Thanksgiving).  I'm hoping it is okay to bottle today.  Bottles are sanitized and dried and ready to fill.



 

8 comments:

Susan said...

Happy New Year to you and your family! I'm wishing you all a healthy, happy and financially strong year!!!

Nancy In Boise said...

Glad you're feeling better!!! Happy New year!

Sam I Am...... said...

Happy New Year and I wish you and your family good health, good finances and less overtime! LOL! Enjoy!

Mama Pea said...

My gosh, you sure can't keep a good (wo)man down, can you? You're already jumping into so many things with both feet . . . and manicured nails! I used to love wearing nail polish -- even though I wore it off so quickly -- but gave it up after realizing the horrible chemicals I was putting on my nails. Now I know they have "safe" polish available but don't know if I'll get back into the habit or not.

Do you think selling your handmade products on Etsy would bring in enough extra $$ to make your efforts worth it? Or could you find enough time in your already busy day to make enough products to sell?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Susan! Same to you!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Little Homestead! Every day I get a bit stronger and it's just so hard to believe that all those days in bed could delay me from being back to me. Just a reminder to stay healthy and wash my hands after a trip to town. Or take my homemade hand sanitizer along.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Sam I Am!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I'm not sure what I could make that would sell good. The jams and jellies sold great at the market days, but take so much work to make and jars are not cheap. Once I have this "order" done for a cousin (crocheted item), I'll be back to restocking my "market" items in hopes for a May or later market day to help out. I sell more there than online. However, Etsy is not out of the question just yet. I'm looking into what tax ID etc I need to do it. It may be more trouble, but if I have the right item to sell, it would help. I may get more hens and sell eggs too. I have to get a new coop, or a second one. I do have some slouchy hats made and hope to make more for next fall (market days in fall seem to bring in business there too). I may even try other areas. I'm also looking for other writing assignments.