Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Spicy Corn and Sweet Potato Chowder

As promised, I am posting today the review on a recipe. I used organic ingredients, or home grown from the freezer, and home grown oregano.


Here is the recipe: 


1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch or so pieces
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen corn
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup spicy salsa 
optional:  serve over ripe, peeled and chopped avocado and chopped fresh cilantro

Original instructions state to saute your onion, bell pepper, celery, first, then add the remaining and cook in a pot until potatoes are tender.  

I sauteed the veggies, but tossed them into a crock pot, and cooked everything that way.  It smelled wonderful, almost like the vegetarian chili we make.

I didn't feel the "spicy" part was there when I made this recipe.  I used my own home canned zucchini salsa.  However, I can tell you that I added some chopped hot banana peppers (diced) and about 1/2 teaspoon of my "fire powder" and it was delicious.  I tossed in a few white potatoes, just because I had them on hand.  Next time I'll put two sweet potatoes in it.  I probably had more than 10 ounces of corn, as I thawed a bag from the freezer (corn off the cob).

I also used cubes of my frozen celery, and tossed those directly into the crock pot, and it worked just as well as fresh. 

I did not serve it over the avocado nor the cilantro, but felt it was very good after adding the peppers (diced and ground).  Jalapeno would be good too.  I just used what I had in my freezer and pantry.

I used organic cumin from the store.  Cumin is very difficult to grow here.
 

6 comments:

Susan said...

That sounds and looks amazing!

Candy C. said...

Sounds really good! We are big fans of cumin and cilantro so I would definitely try to add them in. Thanks for the recipe!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan it was delicious. I will be making it again.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Candy, you are welcome.

RB said...

Looks real good. Lord only knows how much I love soup too, almost any soup - year round.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, we love soups here too.