One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One mother making ends meet and surviving today's recession by writing. One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Spicy Corn and Sweet Potato Chowder

As promised, I am posting today the review on a recipe. I used organic ingredients, or home grown from the freezer, and home grown oregano.


Here is the recipe: 


1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch or so pieces
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen corn
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup spicy salsa 
optional:  serve over ripe, peeled and chopped avocado and chopped fresh cilantro

Original instructions state to saute your onion, bell pepper, celery, first, then add the remaining and cook in a pot until potatoes are tender.  

I sauteed the veggies, but tossed them into a crock pot, and cooked everything that way.  It smelled wonderful, almost like the vegetarian chili we make.

I didn't feel the "spicy" part was there when I made this recipe.  I used my own home canned zucchini salsa.  However, I can tell you that I added some chopped hot banana peppers (diced) and about 1/2 teaspoon of my "fire powder" and it was delicious.  I tossed in a few white potatoes, just because I had them on hand.  Next time I'll put two sweet potatoes in it.  I probably had more than 10 ounces of corn, as I thawed a bag from the freezer (corn off the cob).

I also used cubes of my frozen celery, and tossed those directly into the crock pot, and it worked just as well as fresh. 

I did not serve it over the avocado nor the cilantro, but felt it was very good after adding the peppers (diced and ground).  Jalapeno would be good too.  I just used what I had in my freezer and pantry.

I used organic cumin from the store.  Cumin is very difficult to grow here.
 

6 comments:

Susan said...

That sounds and looks amazing!

Candy C. said...

Sounds really good! We are big fans of cumin and cilantro so I would definitely try to add them in. Thanks for the recipe!

Kristina said...

Susan it was delicious. I will be making it again.

Kristina said...

Candy, you are welcome.

RB said...

Looks real good. Lord only knows how much I love soup too, almost any soup - year round.
God bless.
RB
<><

Kristina said...

RB, we love soups here too.